Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is actually a difference between the Naga Jolokia, and Bhut Jolokia, and I read in Chili Pepper magazine that the Bhut Jolokia is actually spicier.

Hot Stuff is Good for You!

Hillary’s Health Plan: Hot Peppers
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/hillarys-health-plan-hot-peppers/

During a recent “60 Minutes” interview, Senator Hillary Clinton unveiled a surprising weapon in her fight to become the Democratic presidential nominee: hot peppers.

“I eat a lot of hot peppers,'’ she told CBS News anchor Katie Couric, who had asked her how she maintains her stamina on the campaign trail. “I for some reason started doing that in 1992, and I swear by it. I think it keeps my metabolism revved up and keeps me healthy.”

Nutritionists say Mrs. Clinton may be on to something. Although the scientific study of hot peppers is limited, there are some suggestions that capsaicin, the active ingredient in peppers, has numerous health benefits.

For starters, peppers contain several important nutrients, including beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin and vitamin C, said Jonny Bowden, a board-certified nutritionist and author of “The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth.'’ In fact, peppers contain about twice the amount of vitamin C found in citrus fruits, which may help explain why they have emerged as a popular home remedy for fighting colds.

. . . .
There maybe something to this. Everyone around me (family, coworkers and colleagues) has been pretty ill recently, but I have managed to avoid illnes. I been in contact or close to people who've had the flu. I've been eating a lot of hot sauces, including several of turbo's relishes, over the past few months, so I wonder if it's a coincidence or I'm actually getting a benefit. Last year at this time, I had a really bad cold that developed into walking pneumonia.

I find chili perks me up, in fact it is the only food i would not want to do without, i am still experimenting to get the perfect blend of spicy hotness using fresh chilies, the powder is to bland.

wolram said:
I find chili perks me up, in fact it is the only food i would not want to do without, i am still experimenting to get the perfect blend of spicy hotness using fresh chilies, the powder is to bland.
Woolie, you've got to make chili relishes with blends of chilies! It's fun to cook stuff when you've got a range of hot stuff to cook with. You have to learn how to process them safely for long-term storage, but these are skills well worth mastering.

I would love to have you, Astronuc, Math Jeans, and others around for a week or so during the chili harvest, to pitch in and make chili relishes, hot sauces, tomato salsas, etc. The production of these canned preserves involve complex dances that take into account the quality and availability of the foods from our garden.

Dagnabit, i am blending like crazy, my latest has scotch bonnet, birds eye and finger chilies
in it, it tasted well hot to start with but mellowed with cooking, i can get the burning back of the throat effect but not the sweat inducing effect.

I would love to go on a chili harvest, even better i would love to grow my own, but i am sure the plants would not get enough sun, if you know of any that would do well in our climate i will give them a try.

Last edited:
If you can manage to get some decent habaneros, (and they can be very hot) you will find that you'll be not only confronted with sensible heat(in the mouth), but also that you will be prompted to sweat all out of proportion to the heat of the chilies. If you had a hot dog on a roll with mustard and habanero relish (even if I restricted the chili relish), you'd experience a rich burn and your scalp would be wet.

wolram said:
I would love to go on a chili harvest, even better i would love to grow my own, but i am sure the plants would not get enough sun, if you know of any that would do well in our climate i will give them a try.

Try using a UV heat lamp.

EDIT: That means planting and growing INSIDE.

I sprained my back a few months ago. My doctor suggested capsaicin cream - the results were AMAZING. It stopped both the ache and the acute sharp pains in just one day! Who knew a topically-applied lotion could to that?!?

Capsaicin rocks!

lisab said:
I sprained my back a few months ago. My doctor suggested capsaicin cream - the results were AMAZING. It stopped both the ache and the acute sharp pains in just one day! Who knew a topically-applied lotion could to that?!?

Capsaicin rocks!
Yep! Great stuff! I have arthritis in my knees, and capsaicin cream is very helpful when they get achy.

wolram said:
Dagnabit, i am blending like crazy, my latest has scotch bonnet, birds eye and finger chilies
in it, it tasted well hot to start with but mellowed with cooking, i can get the burning back of the throat effect but not the sweat inducing effect.

Chilies love the heat, so if you can buy/build a little greenhouse and restrict the venting to keep the temperatures up, you may be able to grow them, even in your climate. We rarely get 90 deg F temps here, and the nights are often cool. Still, the peppers grow really well in my garden.

Astronuc said:
Hot Stuff is Good for You!

There maybe something to this. Everyone around me (family, coworkers and colleagues) has been pretty ill recently, but I have managed to avoid illnes. I been in contact or close to people who've had the flu. I've been eating a lot of hot sauces, including several of turbo's relishes, over the past few months, so I wonder if it's a coincidence or I'm actually getting a benefit. Last year at this time, I had a really bad cold that developed into walking pneumonia.
I hesitate to claim medicinal powers for chilies, but anecdotally, since we have had our own garden spot and I've been able to grow my own, I haven't had a cold or flu. I have always loved chilies, but the ones in the store are inconsistent in quality and are VERY expensive. My garden-grown chilies are far tastier and hotter, and when properly processed, I can enjoy them all year long at little cost.

I think we need to differentiate from a relish to a meal, chili to me is an all in one meal, apart from Turbos method of cooking meat there are no meals in this thread, so how about all in one meals for the chili nut.

My wife is off her feet for a few weeks to to some surgery so I am doing all the cooking. We just finished up a big batch of soup that I made a few days ago. It's easy to make, and it tastes better the longer it sits in the fridge.

Chop several jalapenos, several cloves of garlic and a large white onion and brown them in peanut oil in a large pot. When they are getting tinges of brown and are leaving a bit of brown residue on the bottom of the pot, stir in 1/2# of ground pork and 1/2# of ground beef and cook that until it's getting browned. Then, dump in a 12 oz can of black beans, including all the juice and a large can of ground Italian tomatoes. Chop a couple of large potatoes and several stalks of celery and add to the pot, along with a bag of frozen whole-kernel corn. Pour in at least 1/4 cup of cheap red wine, and simmer, seasoning to taste. I used salt, pepper, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, cayenne, and some pretty spicy curry powder. This makes a very thick soup. You can thin it with some liquids if you'd like it thinner.

There's an all-in-one meal for you, Woolie. You can make up a good-sized batch and have a good healthy meal once a day for probably a week.

A critical tip - plan ahead! When you boil potatoes, vegetables, etc, do not throw out the juice - save it to add to soups. Also, when you roast a chicken or turkey, do not throw our the bones. Cut them with poultry shears and boil them. When the liquid cools, discard the bones, and save the little meat scraps, water and fats to add to soups. Part of being a good cook and eating healthy is recognizing how nutrients and flavors are often discarded in the cooking process, and diverting those to future meals.

Last edited:
lisab said:

Capsaicin rocks!

I prefer to just fake the pains and use the Capsaicin in food.

Sorry to hear your wife is ill Turbo, i send my very best wishes for a quick recovery.

Math Jeans said:
I prefer to just fake the pains and use the Capsaicin in food.

It is a move to the dark side and there can be no rehab for the chili addict, once you have become one of Turbos disciples you doomed to devilishly heavenly food.

wolram said:
Sorry to hear your wife is ill Turbo, i send my very best wishes for a quick recovery.
Thanks, Woolie. It's nothing really serious - she had a bunion removed, so the doctor had to break and cut away bone and disturb skin, muscle tissue, etc. She's sitting around with her foot propped up and will not be able to return to work for a month or so until she's healed up. Luckily, I'm a good cook, because all she's getting to eat is stuff that I prepare. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain, so I'll spend part of the day trying to faithfully re-create the spicy soup I described a few posts back, and brining a pork rib roast to cook on Sunday.

She's been raving about that thick spicy soup with the chilies to anyone who will listen - a new favorite has been born. I have to be careful not to invent too many great dishes while she is laid up lest I inherit all the cooking duties. :uhh:

Last edited:
wolram said:
It is a move to the dark side and there can be no rehab for the chili addict, once you have become one of Turbos disciples you doomed to devilishly heavenly food.
"Disciples?" What are we doing here? Running a chili cult? :rofl:

I must admit that since I have moved to the country with a nice big garden spot, my chili-pepper addiction has rampaged unchecked. The chilies in the supermarkets are often anemic and always expensive, so I had a hard time making hot sauces/relishes that would satisfy me. I have a neighbor who grows wonderful Russian and German garlic varieties, and he gave me enough garlic for all my chili relishes, salsas, etc last summer, and enough to plant a double-wide row of garlic for next summer's crop. In return, I have kept him well-supplied with hot stuff. He has a small greenhouse and a sunny, sheltered deck, and I have lured him back into chili production. He bought his habanero seeds this week and will start them in the house, then move them into the greenhouse when it warms up, so hopefully we will have a much higher yield of ripe habaneros this year. I love the green habanero chili relish, but the stuff made with ripe red chilies has more kick. I have a couple of jars of that left, and I have set one of those aside for the next Astronuc visit. We'll have some hot dogs and cold beer on the back deck. :tongue2:

I am out shopping today in the big town, i intend to scour it for chili's, i have bought 6 half
pint pickling jars so they are waiting to be filled with some relish, i will be annoyed if i do not come back piled high with fresh chili's.

What a waste of time, one would think a city like Coventry would have some place to buy fresh chili's but what a poor lot, i have come home with some poxy looking shriveled up habs in cellophane packets, and i bought every one in the store which was only seven packs.
After this huge disappointment me and Kia went to a Mexican cafe, the chili i ordered was
some thing a baby could eat, the guy was kind though, he bought me a side order of chilis for free.
I managed to make 3/4 jar of relish out of my pathetic haul, i just hope i have done it right
as quantities were hard to judge.

Last edited:
You've got to grow your own, Woolie. Lots of Brits like gardening, so I assume that you could buy one of the tiny greenhouses that I see in the home-improvement places over here. That would help you get the temperatures up to the level that chili peppers seem to prefer. Once you've got your own crops going, you can freeze them, can them as relishes, etc so that you can have chilies year-round. My wife and I had some of the left-over hot soup a little while ago, and she told me that she likes it a lot more than our chili con carne, so I'll have to make the soup instead. That was made with fresh-frozen jalapenoes, so I'll have to make sure to freeze more of this summer's crop to ensure that I've got enough for next year.

Turbo, how thick should the relish be? mine is quite liquid i thought it would thicken when it cooled but it has not.
By the way i bought a food blender and by heck these Kendod things work great, it only takes seconds to get things minced up and it only cost me £23.

Last edited:
My chili relish is amazingly good, it so good i am going out to buy hot dogs so that i can pig out on chili dogs, i followed Turbos method as close as i could.

My chili relish

Hope this shows up ok.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 342
Mine comes out with less liquid, Woolie, so you may want to adjust the recipe a bit. There should be "just" enough liquid to cover the solids when you put the stuff in jars. Remember that the relish should be refrigerated at all times. You don't want to get food poisoning. If you have followed proper canning procedures (sterilized jars and lids, processing in boiling water bath to seal lids, etc) you can store the jars at room temperature, but as soon as they are opened, into the fridge they go.

Have fun with the hot dogs. I fry mine in butter and grill the rolls in butter while I am cooking chopped onions. Mmm! Hot dogs with onions, chili relish, and mustard!

turbo-1 said:
Mine comes out with less liquid, Woolie,

Have fun with the hot dogs. I fry mine in butter and grill the rolls in butter while I am cooking chopped onions. Mmm! Hot dogs with onions, chili relish, and mustard!

The taste is good, i used smoked garlic, but yes i do need to adjust things a bit.

You fry hot dogs? i thought you were only supposed to boil them.

wolram said:
The taste is good, i used smoked garlic, but yes i do need to adjust things a bit.

You fry hot dogs? i thought you were only supposed to boil them.
Yep. I fry them in a heavy cast-iron frying pan until they get a little browned - they taste much better than boiled hot dogs. I like them cooked on the grill best, but we're still in the clutches of winter, so frying them is a good alternative.

You mean you don't bbq through the winter? I'm farther north than you are, and I never stop bbq-ing.

NeoDevin said:
You mean you don't bbq through the winter? I'm farther north than you are, and I never stop bbq-ing.
Often, I do, but I like fried hot dogs really well, and the convenience of cooking them in the house where it's warm is nice. Of course, if the wife brings home a nice steak, or if I get a craving for cheeseburgers, I bundle up and start the grill.

coooool... NOT (it's hot, pun intended :O)

I just love spicy food. I am going to try that recipe when I have the time

I've had a heavy schedule of legal depositions, etc this week, so tonight I slacked off, and we had pan-fried hot dogs for supper (habanero chili relish for me, jalapeno chili relish for my wife) with fried onions and yellow mustard. We've still got a pretty good load of frozen jalapenos from our last crop for soups, casseroles, stir-fries, etc, but I can't wait for the opportunity to test/augment/till our garden soil and get another crop in. In December, I hammered a 4' grade stake into our raised bed of garlic when I planted the cloves to mark the delineation of the German/Russian varieties. I can see almost 1' of the stake now.

This sounds good,

1 lb. hamburger
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 env. (1 1/4 oz.) taco seasoning mix
1 can (4 oz.) whole green chilies, chopped and drained
1 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese (4 oz.)
1 1/4 c. milk
3/4 c. Bisquick mix
3 eggs
1/8 tsp. red pepper sauce

Heat oven to 400, grease pie pan.
Cook hamburger and onion and drain. Stir in seasoning mix, put mixture into pie pan. Sprinkle with chilies and cheese. Beat remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour in pie pan. Bake 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes.

My favourite recipe.

Order a curry, to specific taste. nth > Tindaloo > Vindaloo > Madras > Balti > Tikka > Korma.

Preferably with some lager and rice, and a side salad ( has to have plenty of onions) + some popadoms or Naan. Then eat it, if stronger than a madrass, go bright red, have your eyes water and say whooo Jeez alot, of stronger than a Vindaloo, retreat to safe distance and wait until the fallout subsides.

It's very hard to get an exceptional curry in this country, but you can if you know where to look, or just happen to live near one. It's not impossible to make a good curry yourself if you know a few Asian grocers. But it's much better if you just order one sit back and enjoy IMO. I'm a good cook but I am also quite lazy, curries take forever to make, especially if you make them properly. It is officially recorded that God invented curry leaves and therefore curry powder to give India an extraordinarily good reason to exist, above and beyond the usual right to self determination, human rights guff and so on.

Thai curries are lovely too, in fact any curries from the Asian continent, are marvellous, and so is Chinese food.

My chile peppers are doing really well. I think turbo and I need to go into the chile pepper business.

Chile production is a $500 million crop in New Mexico alone, which produces most of the U.S. crop, state agriculture commissioners wrote the FDA on Thursday.

FDA: Avoid jalapenos from Mexico, not US
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/salmonella_peppers;_ylt=AmsgSPc8BiyiQnVIvJWWtT7lWMcF [Broken]
WASHINGTON - Only jalapeno peppers grown in Mexico are implicated in the nationwide salmonella outbreak, the government announced Friday in clearing the U.S. crop.

The Food and Drug Administration urged consumers to avoid raw Mexican jalapenos and the serrano peppers often confused with them, or dishes made with them such as fresh salsa.

But the big question is how those who love hot peppers would know where the chiles came from, especially in restaurant food.

"You're going to have to ask the person you're buying it from," said Dr. David Acheson, the FDA's food safety chief, who is advising restaurants and grocery stores to know their suppliers and pass that information to customers.

The big break in an outbreak that now has sickened nearly 1,300 people came on Monday, when FDA announced it had found the same strain of salmonella responsible for the outbreak on a single Mexican-grown jalapeno in a south Texas produce warehouse.

Tomatoes are still suspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>1. What is the Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce?</h2><p>The Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is approximately 100,000 to 350,000 SHU. This means it is considered to be a very hot sauce and may not be suitable for those who are sensitive to spicy foods.</p><h2>2. How is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce made?</h2><p>Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is made by blending fresh habanero peppers with vinegar, salt, and other spices. The ingredients are then cooked and blended to create a smooth and flavorful sauce. The sauce is then bottled and ready to be enjoyed.</p><h2>3. Is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce gluten-free?</h2><p>Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is gluten-free. It does not contain any wheat, barley, or rye, which are common sources of gluten. However, it is always recommended to check the ingredients list for any potential allergens before consuming.</p><h2>4. How should Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be stored?</h2><p>Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is best to refrigerate after opening to maintain its freshness and flavor. It is also important to use a clean spoon or utensil when serving to prevent contamination.</p><h2>5. Can Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be used in cooking?</h2><p>Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce can be used in cooking to add a spicy kick to your dishes. It can be used as a marinade, added to soups or stews, or used as a dipping sauce. However, it is important to use it in moderation as it is a very hot sauce and can easily overpower other flavors.</p>

1. What is the Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce?

The Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is approximately 100,000 to 350,000 SHU. This means it is considered to be a very hot sauce and may not be suitable for those who are sensitive to spicy foods.

2. How is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce made?

Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is made by blending fresh habanero peppers with vinegar, salt, and other spices. The ingredients are then cooked and blended to create a smooth and flavorful sauce. The sauce is then bottled and ready to be enjoyed.

3. Is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce gluten-free?

Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is gluten-free. It does not contain any wheat, barley, or rye, which are common sources of gluten. However, it is always recommended to check the ingredients list for any potential allergens before consuming.

4. How should Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be stored?

Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is best to refrigerate after opening to maintain its freshness and flavor. It is also important to use a clean spoon or utensil when serving to prevent contamination.

5. Can Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be used in cooking?

Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce can be used in cooking to add a spicy kick to your dishes. It can be used as a marinade, added to soups or stews, or used as a dipping sauce. However, it is important to use it in moderation as it is a very hot sauce and can easily overpower other flavors.