What is linearized GR and how does it relate to Riemannian geometry?

• Thread starter waterfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Gravitation and Spacetime" by Ohanian and Ruffini and the concept of linearized gravity. The book is described as a gentle introduction to the topic, but not recommended beyond that. The conversation also touches on the possibility of using perturbations of Newtonian spacetime to approximate the Minkowski metric in special relativity and the Lorentzian metric in general relativity. There is also speculation about the possibility of a universe where spacetime is created by a Higgs-like field.
waterfall
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393965015/?tag=pfamazon01-20

How many here own this book by Ohanian & Ruffini "Gravitation and Spacetime"?

A review mentions:

"Ohanian introduces linearized GR (in a completely logical and satisfying manner) before Riemannian geometry"

What's linearized GR?

I already own 10 GR books. What's so unique with Ohanian's that I must get one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Linearized gravity is just using perturbations of flat spacetime to approximate the metric:

[itex]g_{\mu \nu }=\eta _{\mu \nu }+h_{\mu \nu }[/itex]

I've never seen a GR book that doesn't have some mention of linearized GR.

I have a copy of Ohanian and have taught out of it. It's a gentle introduction, Ok as a first book but I wouldn't recommend it beyond that.

elfmotat said:
Linearized gravity is just using perturbations of flat spacetime to approximate the metric:

[itex]g_{\mu \nu }=\eta _{\mu \nu }+h_{\mu \nu }[/itex]

I've never seen a GR book that doesn't have some mention of linearized GR.

Is it possible to do perturbations of Newtonian spacetime to approximate both the minkowski metric in SR and lorentzian metric in GR?

What if our universe space time were really Newtonian and Spacetime (tm) is just some kind of Higgs-like field that create all those SR and GR effects. Is this possible?

1. What is linearized GR?

Linearized GR stands for linearized general relativity. It is a simplified version of Einstein's general theory of relativity that is used to describe the behavior of gravitational fields in weak gravity and small spacetime regions.

2. How does linearized GR differ from the full theory of general relativity?

The full theory of general relativity describes the behavior of gravity in all situations, including strong gravity and large spacetime regions. Linearized GR is a linear approximation of this theory, which is only accurate in weak gravity and small spacetime regions.

3. Why is linearized GR useful?

Linearized GR is useful because it allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of gravitational fields in situations where the full theory of general relativity is too complex to solve. It is also used as a starting point for more advanced theories of gravity.

4. What are the limitations of linearized GR?

Linearized GR is only accurate in situations where the gravitational field is weak and spacetime regions are small. It cannot be used to describe strong gravity or large spacetime regions, such as those near black holes.

5. How is linearized GR used in scientific research?

Linearized GR is used in a variety of scientific research, including astrophysics, cosmology, and gravitational wave detection. It is also used in the development of new theories of gravity and in testing the predictions of general relativity.