Mystery of a 24VDC Motor with Electric Brake

In summary, the individual encountered a problem with their motor and brake system. They have installed a relay to control the brake and have checked the brake and relay separately, but when they connect the brake to the relay, it does not disengage. They are unsure of how the circuit is supposed to work and are considering using a DPDT relay instead. They also mention that the brake needs to be applied unless the motor is moving, and currently the brake is connected in parallel rather than series with the motor. They have also tried connecting the brake directly to a 24V battery and it works, but not when connected through the relay. They are seeking advice on how to properly wire the brake and relay in the circuit.
opmal7
I've encountered a problem that I can't seem to make any logical sense of. Hopefully someone here can help!

I have a 24VDC motor with an attached electric brake to prevent back-driving. The motor is controlled with a 5V analog joystick. The joystick has a button that needs to be pressed to activate the motor circuit. I want the same button to also release the brake on the motor.

I've installed a relay that has a 5-24VDC control voltage (Part #9938K53 from McMaster Carr). I have the relay wired such that pressing the button applies 5V across the control circuit. This closes a switch that applies 24V to the motor brake. The other wire on the brake ties back into ground (see attached diagram).

When I connect the brake to the relay, the brake won't disengage. I've check the brake separately by connecting it to a 24V battery, and that works. I've checked the relay without the brake attached, and the output wires show 24V on my multimeter. However, when I attach the brake, the wires shows exactly 0V on my multimeter and when I press the button it only shows 3.3mV.

I can't seem to figure out what the problem is, and appreciate any help or advice anyone can offer.

Attachments

• Motor Brake Relay Wiring Diagram.jpg
    Motor Brake Relay Wiring Diagram.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 593
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your description and diagram are a little unclear. Is the brake connected to the motor electrically? If so, how.

With motor-brake systems I have worked with, the brake was connected in series with the motor. This means the brake must have very low impedance. In your case, it doesn't sound like the brake has low impedance so could it be connected across the motor? How is the brake activated to prevent back-driving?

The brake is basically a solenoid that grips on a shaft sticking out of the backside of the motor. There are 4 wires that come from the motor. 2 for the motor and 2 for the brake.

My initial reaction is that you should use a DPDT relay instead. One pole for the motor, the other pole for the brake.

I'm not sure you understand the circuit well enough to effectuate a solution. Do you know how backdriving the motor causes the brake to be applied?

There is a good reason for connecting the brake in series with the motor. If the coil or wiring to the brake should open for any reason, the brake will automatically be applied and power removed from the motor which makes it failsafe. This is not true for a shunt connected brake. Do you know how your circuit is supposed to work?

The motor in question is a parallel gear motor that attaches to a pinion, which mates into a rack to traverse a platform. Without the brake applied, someone can grab the platform and turn it freely. The motor will not resist this motion. To prevent this, we added a brake to the motor which will lock the shaft and pinion so the platform can't be moved.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a DPDT relay?

I can't seem to figure out why I read 24V on the two wires before I connect the brake, and that voltage disappears when I connect the brake.

opmal7 said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a DPDT relay?
It means Double Pole Double Throw. The contacts can control two independent circuits and each circuit can select two different positions. I don't understand why a DPDT relay would be needed.

opmal7 said:
I can't seem to figure out why I read 24V on the two wires before I connect the brake, and that voltage disappears when I connect the brake.
It is likely that the brake, which was intended to be connected in series with the motor, is essentially a short circuit. I urge you to try that arrangement to see how it works.

If there is no voltage applied to the brake, it is engaged. Once 24V is applied, the brake disengages.

In my application, I want the brake applied unless the motor is moving. Pressing the button on the joystick activates the motor controller, and is wired to the relay to release the brake at the same time.

I have touched the wires that control the brake directly to a 24V battery, and you can hear the brake click, so I know the brake works. I can't figure out why applying 24V via a battery works, but applying 24V via the relay does not.

opmal7 said:
If there is no voltage applied to the brake, it is engaged. Once 24V is applied, the brake disengages.
First of all, you are not applying 24 V to the brake because as you said when you do connect the brake across a 24 V battery, you see zero volts across the brake. This is because the brake is a short circuit and is operated by the current through it, rather than by the voltage across it.

If the brake is in series with the motor, when you apply voltage to the series combination, current flows through the brake and the motor. The brake releases and the motor turns. Once you remove voltage, current stops flowing and the brake applies, stopping the motor.

opmal7 said:
In my application, I want the brake applied unless the motor is moving. Pressing the button on the joystick activates the motor controller, and is wired to the relay to release the brake at the same time.
While you still need the relay between the joystick switch and the motor-brake circuit, you don't need two separate circuits for the motor and brake. The brake was designed to be connected in series with the motor.

Edit: If your joystick controls the motor controller directly, you probably do not need to use a relay at all.

opmal7 said:
I have touched the wires that control the brake directly to a 24V battery, and you can hear the brake click, so I know the brake works. I can't figure out why applying 24V via a battery works, but applying 24V via the relay does not
In the previous quote you mention a motor controller. If you are trying to activate the brake with a motor controller instead of a battery, the motor controller may not have enough current capability to activate the brake, especially if it is also supplying current to the motor. Many motor controllers have over-current limits and shut down if the current limit is exceeded. That is to prevent the motor from burning up should it become stalled.

Last edited:
When I hook the brake up to the battery, I do see 24V across the 2 wires, and the brake disengages as expected.

When I hook the brake up to the relay, I see no voltage across the brake and it won't disengage. If I disconnect the brake wires from the relay wires, I see 24V across the wires coming from the relay.

Does the relay connect the brake to the battery or the motor controller?

The relay connects the brake to the battery, and is controlled by the 5V button on the joystick.

When the relay closes, do you have 24 V on both sides of the relay contact?

I have one wire into the relay from the +24V side of the battery. The other wire goes to the + side of the motor brake. Then the - side of the brake goes to the - side of the battery.

Is this what you have?
(1) +24V --> (2) relay NO (Normally Open) contact
(3) Other NO relay contact --> (4) + brake lead.
(5) - brake lead --> (6) -24V.

If it is, when the relay is activated and the relay contact closes, do you still have +24V on points (1), (2), (3) and (4)?

Do you also have zero volts at points (5) and (6)?

1. What is a 24VDC motor with electric brake and how does it work?

A 24VDC motor with electric brake is a type of motor that operates on a 24-volt direct current power source and has an integrated electric brake system. The electric brake is typically a spring-loaded brake that is engaged when the motor is not in use, and disengages when the motor is powered on. This allows for precise control and stopping of the motor's movements.

2. What are the benefits of using a 24VDC motor with electric brake?

One of the main benefits of using a 24VDC motor with electric brake is its ability to provide precise control and stopping of movements. This is especially useful in applications where accuracy and safety are important, such as in robotics or industrial machinery. Additionally, these motors are often more energy-efficient and produce less noise compared to other types of motors.

3. How do I choose the right 24VDC motor with electric brake for my application?

Choosing the right 24VDC motor with electric brake for your application will depend on various factors such as the required torque, speed, and size. It is important to carefully consider the specifications of the motor and ensure that it can meet the demands of your application. Consulting with a knowledgeable supplier or engineer can also help in selecting the right motor for your needs.

4. Can a 24VDC motor with electric brake be used in both AC and DC power sources?

No, a 24VDC motor with electric brake is specifically designed to operate on a 24-volt direct current power source. Attempting to power it with an alternating current (AC) source can damage the motor and may also be dangerous.

5. How do I maintain and troubleshoot a 24VDC motor with electric brake?

Regular maintenance is important to ensure the proper functioning and longevity of a 24VDC motor with electric brake. This may include checking for any loose connections, cleaning and lubricating the motor, and replacing any worn or damaged parts. In case of any issues, it is best to refer to the manufacturer's manual for specific troubleshooting steps or seek the help of a professional.