Is the Standard Model a particle theory or a field theory?

In summary: So, in summary, the Standard Model is a quantum field theory that describes particles as excitations or manifestations of those fields. The concept of "spooky action at a distance" is not applicable to virtual particle exchange, which is a key aspect of the field theory explanation. While particles can be measured, the fields themselves cannot be directly measured.
jnorman
just looking at the standard model, which describes a host of fundamental particles and bosons, one could assume that the SM is a particle model. however, most of what i read appears to indicate that particles are merely "excitations" or manifestations of a field, and it has been stated on this forum that SM is a field theory. this field explanation seems to make sense, since what we consider fundamental "particles" like quarks and leptons, are all point particles with zero volume - ie, there is "no-thing" there, only properties.

at the same time, science has no idea of how a field operates, and apparently is built on "spooky action at a distance", since no particles ever actually come into direct contact to impart changes in momentum or energy - they conduct these exchanges via "virtual" particle exchange (magic?).

what is your particular view of this? is SM a particle theory or a field theory? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that SM is a quantum theory of particles described by the aid of quantum fields. In other words, the physical objects are particles, while the fields are a mathematical tool.

By the way, the "spooky action at a distance" in quantum theory has nothing to do with virtual particles.

Also the notion of "particle" is a mathematical notion, may it be a composite particle or a point-like particle.

I would say that it is a field theory.

Demystifier said:
I would say that SM is a quantum theory of particles described by the aid of quantum fields. In other words, the physical objects are particles, while the fields are a mathematical tool.

Why would you say that?

demyst - if virtual particles don't represent spooky action at a distance, i don't know what does. i know i am pulling a metaphor here, but the way particles interact, while very well modeled mathematically, is simply baffling from a "how does that happen?' perspective.

jnorman said:
demyst - if virtual particles don't represent spooky action at a distance, i don't know what does. i know i am pulling a metaphor here, but the way particles interact, while very well modeled mathematically, is simply baffling from a "how does that happen?' perspective.

Virtual particle exchange is actually a great explanation of causality, since it explains why interactions cannot be transmitted faster than light. It's actually not at all like spooky action at a distance. It is inherently quantum mechanical though, since the effect of a virtual particle will not be known unless a measurement is made on the system.

fz - how does one particle know that another particle is nearby and necessitates the exchange of virtual particles? how is the exchange of virtual particles initiated? what are virtual particles? maybe that is all clear to you, but i sure don't understand it.

jnorman said:
demyst - if virtual particles don't represent spooky action at a distance, i don't know what does.
EPR correlations.

martinbn said:
Why would you say that?
Because in SM the objects we MEASURE in practice are particles, not fields. Moreover, fermionic fields cannot be measured even in principle.

Demystifier said:
Because in SM the objects we MEASURE in practice are particles, not fields. Moreover, fermionic fields cannot be measured even in principle.

That is irrelevant, the question is what the theory says, and QFT is a theory of fields.

1. What is the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory in physics that describes the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe. It is currently the best explanation we have for the behavior of particles on a subatomic level.

2. Is the Standard Model a particle theory or a field theory?

The Standard Model is actually both a particle theory and a field theory. It describes the behavior of both particles and fields, which are interconnected and influence each other.

3. What is the difference between a particle theory and a field theory?

A particle theory focuses on the behavior and interactions of individual particles, while a field theory describes the behavior of fields, which are continuous and exist throughout space. In the Standard Model, particles are considered to be excitations of their corresponding fields.

4. How does the Standard Model explain the behavior of particles?

The Standard Model uses mathematical equations to describe the interactions between particles and fields, taking into account the four fundamental forces: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These equations allow us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions.

5. Are there any limitations to the Standard Model?

While the Standard Model has been incredibly successful in describing the behavior of particles and fields, it is not a complete theory. It does not include a description of gravity, and there are still unanswered questions about the behavior of particles, such as why they have different masses. Scientists are working on theories that can expand upon or potentially replace the Standard Model to address these limitations.