Fast PLCs for Sensor Monitoring & Relay Triggering

• Thread starter opmal7
  • Start date
In summary: The scan time may be a few milliseconds for a small program or on a fast processor, but older PLCs running very large programs could take much longer (say, up to 100 ms) to execute the program. This can add up to a significant delay, especially if the PLC is being asked to do something that takes a long time to complete. So if you're looking to speed up your system, you might want to consider upgrading to a faster PLC.
opmal7
I'm working on a project uses a PLC to monitor an analog input from a sensor. Once the sensor's signal exceeds a certain value, the PLC sends a command to a relay to fire a solenoid.

I've hooked the system up to an o-scope, and I'm seeing a delay of about 75ms from the time the sensor reaches the point to when the relay triggers. I am using solid state relays with 5ms delay, and the sensor operates at 500 Hz. I am using a Siemen's PLC, which I believe is causing most of the delay. From reading the PLC literature, it sounds like the PLC scans the input, stores the value to a memory location, and then looks to that memory location to compare the values. This whole process takes about 65ms.

I would like to reduce the delay as much as possible. Are there any super fast PLC's on the market that would operate faster? I would expect to find most of the delay in the sensor, relay, and solenoid and am surprised that the PLC is what is slowing me down. You would think that with computers being so fast nowadays the computing part should be the quickest.

I'm looking for suggestions on fast PLC's, but am open to other ideas that might reduce the delay in this type of system.

Engineering news on Phys.org
opmal7 said:
I'm working on a project uses a PLC to monitor an analog input from a sensor. Once the sensor's signal exceeds a certain value, the PLC sends a command to a relay to fire a solenoid.

I've hooked the system up to an o-scope, and I'm seeing a delay of about 75ms from the time the sensor reaches the point to when the relay triggers. I am using solid state relays with 5ms delay, and the sensor operates at 500 Hz. I am using a Siemen's PLC, which I believe is causing most of the delay. From reading the PLC literature, it sounds like the PLC scans the input, stores the value to a memory location, and then looks to that memory location to compare the values. This whole process takes about 65ms.

I would like to reduce the delay as much as possible. Are there any super fast PLC's on the market that would operate faster? I would expect to find most of the delay in the sensor, relay, and solenoid and am surprised that the PLC is what is slowing me down. You would think that with computers being so fast nowadays the computing part should be the quickest.

I'm looking for suggestions on fast PLC's, but am open to other ideas that might reduce the delay in this type of system.

Yikes, that is a long delay. I'd start by calling the Customer Support folks at the company that makes the PLC. They may have some other options for PLC units with (much) faster processing delay.

opmal7 said:
From reading the PLC literature, it sounds like the PLC scans the input, stores the value to a memory location, and then looks to that memory location to compare the values. This whole process takes about 65ms.

I'm wondering what all else your PLC is doing?

It takes some time for the processor of the PLC to evaluate all the rungs and update the I/O image table with the status of outputs.[5] This scan time may be a few milliseconds for a small program or on a fast processor, but older PLCs running very large programs could take much longer (say, up to 100 ms) to execute the program.

Programmable logic controller Scan time

1. What is a fast PLC?

A fast PLC, or programmable logic controller, is a type of computerized control system that is commonly used in industrial automation processes. It is designed to monitor and control various inputs and outputs, such as sensors and relays, in a timely and efficient manner.

2. How does a fast PLC work?

A fast PLC consists of a central processing unit (CPU), input/output (I/O) modules, and a programming interface. The CPU receives signals from connected sensors and processes them according to a programmed logic. It then sends commands to the output devices, such as relays, to trigger specific actions.

3. What are the benefits of using a fast PLC for sensor monitoring and relay triggering?

Fast PLCs offer several advantages in comparison to traditional control systems. They are faster, more accurate, and can handle a larger number of inputs and outputs. They also have a modular design, making them easy to expand and customize. Additionally, they can be programmed to perform complex tasks, increasing efficiency and productivity.

4. How do I choose the right fast PLC for my application?

Choosing the right fast PLC depends on several factors, such as the number and type of inputs and outputs, the speed and accuracy requirements, and the complexity of the automation process. It is important to carefully assess your specific needs and consult with an expert to determine the best PLC for your application.

5. Can a fast PLC integrate with other systems?

Yes, fast PLCs can integrate with other systems, such as human-machine interfaces (HMIs), supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems, and other programmable controllers. This allows for seamless communication and coordination between different parts of an industrial automation process.