Interference pattern calculations for unequal slits per QM theory

In summary, the interference pattern for Case 1 (two slits equidistant from the center, but one is narrower) is calculated using the wave-function and 20% of the wave-function passes through the narrower slit. For Case 2 (two slits equal width, but one is farther away from the slit than the other), the wave-function is assumed to be the same for both slits. The interference pattern is then calculated using the wave-function and the Hyugens–Fresnel principle.
San K
I am trying to understand how QM theory (wave-functions) are applied to Interference pattern calculations for unequal slits for a single particle double slit experiment

case 1: both slits are equidistant from the "center", however one slit is bigger and the ratio of the width between the slits is say 80:20

case 1: equidistant but different slit width

case 2: both the slits are equal width however one slit is father away from the slit than the other and the ratio of the distances from the center is in the ratio of say 80:20

case 2: same width of slits but not equidistant

how would we go calculating/prediction the interference pattern per QM (wave-function)?

for case 1:

would we assume (per QM theory) that 20% of the wave function passes through the narrower slit and 80% of the wave-function passed through the wider slit? ...and then interferes?

for case 2:

what do we have to assume for the wave-function?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you be able to calculate the interference pattern if it were some other kind of wave? Sound waves, or light waves? All such problems have a common approach: Huyghens principle.

For each possible path calculate the amplitude and phase, then add them all up.

Bill_K said:
Would you be able to calculate the interference pattern if it were some other kind of wave? Sound waves, or light waves? All such problems have a common approach: Huyghens principle.

For each possible path calculate the amplitude and phase, then add them all up.

thanks Bill K. i was not aware of the Hyugens–Fresnel principle, however thanks for putting me on the right track.

Last edited:
I just acquired a new (to me) HENE laser and tried to create the pattern as described in Case 1. IMG_0096.JPG is a normal double slit, .35mm center with two .15mm slits. For image IMG_0097.JPG, I changed the slits to .1mm on the left and .4mm on the right. I will try to get better images when I have the time but there does seem to be a difference between the two sides.
IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
azdavesoul said:
I just acquired a new (to me) HENE laser and tried to create the pattern as described in Case 1. IMG_0096.JPG is a normal double slit, .35mm center with two .15mm slits. For image IMG_0097.JPG, I changed the slits to .1mm on the left and .4mm on the right. I will try to get better images when I have the time but there does seem to be a difference between the two sides.
IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

nice pics azdavesoul, great experiment

San K,
You may be interested in some of the other diffraction patterns on my site, asymmetricphotons.com.

http://asymmetricphotons.davehewitt.com/__oneclick_uploads/2012/03/asymm.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an interference pattern?

An interference pattern is a characteristic pattern of bright and dark fringes that results when two or more waves overlap and interfere with each other. This phenomenon is commonly observed in the study of light, sound, and other waves.

2. How is an interference pattern created?

An interference pattern is created when waves from two or more sources with the same frequency and wavelength overlap and interfere with each other. This can be achieved by passing the waves through a medium with multiple slits or by using a double-slit apparatus.

3. What is the significance of unequal slit widths in interference pattern calculations?

The unequal slit widths in interference pattern calculations are important because they affect the relative phase difference between the waves passing through each slit. This, in turn, affects the resulting interference pattern and can lead to deviations from the expected pattern for equal slit widths.

4. How are interference pattern calculations performed according to quantum mechanics theory?

In quantum mechanics theory, interference pattern calculations involve using the superposition principle to calculate the probability amplitude of a particle passing through a specific point on the pattern. This amplitude is then squared to determine the likelihood of the particle being observed at that point.

5. What are some real-world applications of interference pattern calculations for unequal slits per QM theory?

Interference pattern calculations for unequal slits per QM theory have many practical applications, such as in the study of diffraction gratings, optical filters, and interferometers. They are also used in technologies such as holography, fiber optics, and particle detectors.