Where to Find Study Resources for Physics in Computer Science Courses?

In summary: I don't think this book is what you are looking for. It is more in-depth than what you need for the course.
haki
Hope I posted at the right part of the forum, anyway.

I am a computer science student as such am required to take 2 courses in Physics. The first course was pretty much a walk in the park - college physics. But now for the second course it is crazy. I can't find a manual I can study from!

The course is about a bit of quantum physics - really the basics, but then we have stuff like fermi energy and about how semiconductors are produced and how they work and stuff, and energy levels in a crystal and such stuff. The notes from class are pretty much a dissorganized, low quality explanations on this.

Does anybody know any good manual for physics behind semiconductors and stuff that is used in the computers?

Some of the question in last years sub-exams:

What is the energy and wavelength of photons that are associated with line K alpha for Copper.

Electrons in Copper have fermi energy of 7eV. Specific resistance of Copper is 17.5 Ohm-meters. What is the density of the conducting electrons. What is their average traveling speed in the copper wire of length 0.25 m that is wired on 12 V.

and such...any ideas for a good manual or textbook for this? links to amazon or some resourceful webpages would be highly appriciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Thank you very much for your recommendation and your kind offer. Luckily there is one copy of the book available that isn't borrowed at the physics department library.

What about a book like "Modern Physics" by Krane. I used it in undergrad for the "Modern Physics" course I took. Check it out- I think this might be exactly what you are looking for.

1. What is computer science physics?

Computer science physics, also known as computational physics, is a branch of computer science that uses mathematical models and computer simulations to study and solve problems in physics. It combines principles and techniques from both computer science and physics to analyze and understand complex physical systems.

2. What are some applications of computer science physics?

Computer science physics has a wide range of applications, including climate modeling, fluid dynamics, materials science, astrophysics, and biophysics. It is also used in fields such as engineering, geology, and chemistry to simulate and analyze physical systems and phenomena.

3. What skills are needed to pursue a career in computer science physics?

A career in computer science physics requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Proficiency in programming languages, data analysis, and computer simulations is also important. Additionally, having strong critical thinking and communication skills is beneficial in this field.

4. How does computer science physics contribute to scientific research?

Computer science physics plays a significant role in scientific research by providing powerful tools and techniques for studying and understanding complex physical systems. It allows researchers to simulate and analyze physical phenomena that might be too challenging or costly to observe in real life. This helps to advance our understanding of the world and make predictions about natural processes.

5. What are the future prospects for computer science physics?

The future prospects for computer science physics are promising, as the demand for computational techniques in scientific research continues to grow. With the advancement of technology, computer simulations are becoming more accurate and powerful, allowing for more complex and realistic models. This opens up new opportunities for research and applications in various fields, making computer science physics a valuable and relevant field of study.