How does D3O technology revolutionize impact-resistant body armor?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, there are two forms of futuristic armor being developed: one is a magnetic liquid armor that goes rigid when an electric current is passed through it, and the other is D3O - a moldable substance that absorbs shock and distributes impact energy. D3O is currently being used to dip Kevlar and create body armor that is both effective in stopping bullets and reduces injury to the wearer. However, there are concerns about the reliability of the magnetic liquid armor due to its dependence on batteries. Both forms of armor have been featured in various demonstrations and articles.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
There was a thread around here a few weeks back about futuristic armour that could distribute the energy of an impact.

I just watched an article on TV about this cool substance they're putting in sports outfits. It was called D3O.

I watched this guy take a hand-sized lump - it looks and behaves exactly like plasticine - and mold it easily into an amorphous blob. He then picked up a hammer and whammed it several times, and it hardly distorted at all!

Sci-fi eat yer heart out!

Engineering news on Phys.org
[MEDIA=youtube]Grq2NzI9nNI[/MEDIA]&search=d3o[/URL]

I think you mean that. Or what is more interesting, an egg wrapped in d30 surviving to an impact...

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]uuTsXpbLfRU[/MEDIA]&NR[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like a mouldable version of Sorbothane. That stuff was invented by some Brit researchers over 25 years ago. They were trying to make artificial skin for transplantation to burn victims. It turned out that it wasn't biologically compatible, but displayed amazing shock-absorbtion properties. I saw a demonstration that one of their representatives performed on 'The Tonight Show' when Carson was still hosting it. He had a block of the stuff about 2 inches on a side, cut in half with a hemispherical cavity carved out of each half. He set one on Carson's desk with the cavity up, placed a raw egg in it, and covered it with the other half. As Carson watched in obvious concern for his wardrobe, the guy proceded to whap the top block with a large hammer. Nothing happened. :bugeye:
As to the body-armour, I believe that you're getting this stuff mixed up with the magnetic liquid armour currently in development. It goes rigid when an electric current is passed through it, which can be instantly triggered by a bullet impact. 'How Stuff Works' has an article on it.

Last edited:
Clausius2 said:
[MEDIA=youtube]Grq2NzI9nNI[/MEDIA]&search=d3o[/URL]

I think you mean that. Or what is more interesting, an egg wrapped in d30 surviving to an impact...

[PLAIN][MEDIA=youtube]uuTsXpbLfRU[/MEDIA]&NR[/URL][/QUOTE]
Cool. Though the egg is no wrapped in D3O, they dropped the egg [I]on[/I] D3O.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger said:
As to the body-armour, I believe that you're getting this stuff mixed up with the magnetic liquid armour currently in development. It goes rigid when an electric current is passed through it, which can be instantly triggered by a bullet impact. 'How Stuff Works' has an article on it.

The substance to which you refer is one form of liquid body armor (magnetorheological), d30 is the other kind. Both are being studied alongside one another but, AFAIK, only d30 has actually been used. They dip Kevlar in the stuff, and the Kevlar weeve holds the liquid in place. When struck by a bullet (or any other sharp impact), the d30 increases the rigidity of the kevlar, which both increases its ability to stop the bullet
and decreases the injury to the wearer by distributing the force over a broader area. This way, the guy wearing the vest doesn't get that bruising and occassionaly rib-breaking trauma from the vest deforming in a conical shape right where the bullet hit.

Thanks for the clarification, Lurch. I haven't heard of that before. While I like the idea of the magnetorheological design, I don't like the idea of getting smoked because of a defective battery. :biggrin:

Let me guess. It's a non-Newtonian dilatent fluid. (Geez, you really can learn something just by watching someone walk on custard :biggrin: )

MMMmmmm; non-Newtonian dilatent fluid! :tongue:

1. What is impact-sensitive body armour?

Impact-sensitive body armour is a type of protective gear designed to absorb and disperse the force of impacts, reducing the risk of injury to the wearer. It is commonly used by military personnel, law enforcement officers, and athletes.

2. How does impact-sensitive body armour work?

Impact-sensitive body armour works by using layers of specialized materials, such as Kevlar or ceramic plates, to absorb and spread out the force of an impact. This helps to prevent the impact from directly reaching and damaging the wearer's body.

3. What types of impacts can impact-sensitive body armour protect against?

Impact-sensitive body armour is designed to protect against a variety of impacts, including bullets, shrapnel, and blunt force trauma from falls or collisions. The level of protection may vary depending on the specific design and materials used.

4. Is impact-sensitive body armour easily concealable?

Some types of impact-sensitive body armour, such as soft body armor, can be easily concealed under clothing. However, more heavy-duty armor, such as ceramic plates, may be bulkier and more difficult to conceal.

5. How do I know if my impact-sensitive body armour is still effective?

It is important to regularly inspect and replace impact-sensitive body armour when necessary, as it may become less effective over time due to wear and tear. Most manufacturers provide guidelines for when to replace their products, and it is important to follow these recommendations to ensure maximum protection.

Back