Factor Math Induction: What's the Common Factor?

In summary: No need for substitution or induction.In summary, you can factor out the common factors of k+1, k+2, and k+3 from the given expression to simplify it. This does not require expanding the polynomials or using mathematical induction.
L²Cc
[k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3) + 4(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4
factor this out...
What's the common factor? How did you get there? (ok i hope it doesn't require expanding the polynomials :p)
Again, would it be easier if i substituted every (k+x) by a different variable, where (k+1) would equal to variable 'A', (k+2) = B, and so forth?
(this would eventually lead to a mathematical induction)...this is not a homework question...im simply trying to understand factoring and mathematical induction...

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you asking? I can't make sense of your post or how it relates to mathematical induction.

As far as I can tell all you need to remember is that xy+xz=x(y+z), i.e. the distributive property of multiplication. And it has nothing to do with induction.

L²Cc said:
[k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3) + 4(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)]/4
factor this out...
What's the common factor? How did you get there? (ok i hope it doesn't require expanding the polynomials :p)
Again, would it be easier if i substituted every (k+x) by a different variable, where (k+1) would equal to variable 'A', (k+2) = B, and so forth?
(this would eventually lead to a mathematical induction)...this is not a homework question...im simply trying to understand factoring and mathematical induction...
It's obvious, isn't it, that there are factors of k+1, k+2, and k+3 in both terms? You can factor those out:
[k(k+1)(k+2)(k+3)+ 4(k+1)(k+2)k+3)]/4= (k+1)(k+2)(k+3)[k+ 4]/4.

What is factor math induction?

Factor math induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove that a statement or formula is true for all natural numbers. It involves showing that the statement is true for the first few numbers, and then using a rule to show that if the statement is true for one number, it must also be true for the next number.

How do you use factor math induction?

To use factor math induction, you must first prove that the statement is true for the first number (usually 1). Then, you must show that if the statement is true for one number, it must also be true for the next number. This is done by using a rule or formula that links the two numbers. Finally, you must conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers based on this pattern.

What is a common factor?

A common factor is a number that can evenly divide two or more other numbers. For example, the common factors of 12 and 18 are 1, 2, 3, and 6. Common factors are important in factor math induction because they can help simplify the statement being proven.

How do you find the common factor of two numbers?

To find the common factors of two numbers, you can list out all of the factors of each number and find the ones that they have in common. Alternatively, you can use the prime factorization method where you break down each number into its prime factors and find the common ones.

Why is factor math induction useful?

Factor math induction is useful because it allows us to prove that a statement or formula is true for all natural numbers without having to test each individual number. It also helps us find patterns and relationships between numbers that can be used to solve more complex problems.