They have a strategy, we have tactics.

• News
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strategy
In summary: The strategy is to help Iraq defend, sustain, and govern itself, using three different approaches, all of which are interlocking and all of which are dependent upon the others, and that's security, economic and political. That's not going to change.
Jimmy Snyder
The following is an MSNBC paraphrase from Bush's speech today:

Bush said that as those fighting American and Iraqi forces change their strategies, the United States is also adjusting its military tactics.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a direct quote. If he has a strategy, I wish he'd share it with the rest of us.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
If he has a strategy, I wish he'd share it with the rest of us.

I think his strategy is to arrest and torture all Iraqi males of fighting age for the remainder of their miserable lives. :bugeye:

jimmysnyder said:
The following is an MSNBC paraphrase from Bush's speech today:

Bush said that as those fighting American and Iraqi forces change their strategies, the United States is also adjusting its military tactics.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a direct quote. If he has a strategy, I wish he'd share it with the rest of us.

Until recently Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld had but only one strategy, "stay the course", regardless. They needed to be more flexible and aaptable to the changing situation. It is almost as if they could not admit that they were not succeeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
The paraphrase is pretty accurate. The statement reffers to changing tactics, not strategy.

edward said:
Until recently Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld had but only one strategy, "stay the course", regardless.
In this context, I don't understand the difference between course and strategy. Stay what course?

LURCH said:
The paraphrase is pretty accurate.
Are you able to provide a direct quote?

In the last briefing, Snow made it a point to explain how he will be using the terms 'strategy' and 'tactics'. His explanation, however, was a little bit of an obfuscation...because he took the standard military definitions of the terms and them broadened them up enough that what is now called 'strategy' was once called 'graduating out of kindergarten'.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/10/20061023-2.html

Gokul43201 said:
In the last briefing, Snow made it a point to explain how he will be using the terms 'strategy' and 'tactics'.

Thanks Gokul43201, I assume this is the explanation you refer to:

The strategy is to help Iraq defend, sustain, and govern itself, using three different approaches, all of which are interlocking and all of which are dependent upon the others, and that's security, economic and political. That's not going to change.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/10/20061023-2.html

OK, so our strategy has three interlocking approaches, one of which is a noun and the other two are adjectives. But these are just the NAMES of the strategies, not the actual strategies. Hey Mr. President, can you throw us a verb?

What does it mean when someone says "They have a strategy, we have tactics?"

When someone says "They have a strategy, we have tactics," they are referring to the difference between a long-term plan and short-term actions. A strategy is a comprehensive plan for achieving a goal, while tactics are the specific actions taken to support that goal.

What is the importance of having a strategy and tactics?

Having a strategy and tactics is important because it allows for a clear direction and purpose in achieving a goal. A well-developed strategy provides a roadmap for success, while tactics help to implement and execute that strategy effectively.

What are some examples of a strategy and tactics?

An example of a strategy could be a company's long-term plan for increasing market share. Tactics to support this strategy could include targeted advertising campaigns, partnerships with other companies, and product innovation.

Can a strategy and tactics change over time?

Yes, a strategy and tactics can change over time. As circumstances and goals shift, it may be necessary to adjust the strategy and tactics to remain effective. It is important to regularly review and adapt these plans to stay on track towards the desired outcome.

What are some challenges in developing a strategy and tactics?

Developing a strategy and tactics can be challenging because it requires careful consideration of various factors such as resources, competition, and market trends. It also requires effective communication and coordination among team members to ensure everyone is working towards the same goal.