PSpice Schematic: Drawing a Thermistor & Assigning Voltage

In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of PSpice Schematic to draw a Thermistor for a lab write-up. The person was having trouble inserting the current "i" and wanted to know how to include voltage rise and drop symbols. They were also unsure of how to use the software as they were new to it. The expert suggested using a current source symbol for the "i" and explained that voltage symbols are typically included for voltage sources. They also provided a Google search and asked for more specific information on the version of PSpice being used.
ahammervold
Hi. I'm drawing a Thermistor on PSpice Schematic to show a figure of the Thermistor for the lab write up but I am having trouble drawing the current "i" on PSpice Schematic. Could you help me out and tell me how to insert the current on my schematic? This is only the second time I have ever used PSpice Schematic so I really don't know what I am doing. Also is there a way to assign a + and - sign to my schematic to show voltage rise and voltage drop? Thanks for your help!:smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not very familiar with PSPICE, but you will generally only put +/- symbols on a voltage source, and a current direction arrow inside of a current source. What happens in the circuit is determined by the simulation itself, and how you define your node voltages. Can you post a screen shot of what you have so far?

Which version of PSPICE are you using? There should be a part called iDC or something to that effect that will insert a current source symbol into your schematic. Additionally, you can insert text boxes in the many versions I have used, but most voltage source parts will show the + and - for you. Could you be a bit more specific?

1. What is PSpice Schematic and how is it used?

PSpice Schematic is a software tool used for circuit simulation and analysis. It allows users to create a circuit schematic, assign component values, and simulate the behavior of the circuit under different conditions.

2. What is a thermistor and why is it important in circuit design?

A thermistor is a type of resistor whose resistance changes with temperature. It is important in circuit design because it can be used to sense and regulate temperature, making it useful in applications such as temperature control and monitoring.

3. How do I draw a thermistor in PSpice Schematic?

To draw a thermistor in PSpice Schematic, you can use the "Resistor" component from the "Passive" library. Then, right-click on the resistor and select "Attributes". In the "Value" field, type in the resistance at room temperature, followed by the temperature coefficient in units of %/°C. For example, "10k 3.5%/°C" would represent a thermistor with a resistance of 10kΩ at room temperature and a temperature coefficient of 3.5%/°C.

4. How do I assign a voltage to a thermistor in PSpice Schematic?

To assign a voltage to a thermistor in PSpice Schematic, you can use a "Voltage Source" component from the "Sources" library. Place the voltage source in parallel with the thermistor, and then specify the voltage value in the "DC Value" field in the "Attributes" menu.

5. Can I simulate the behavior of a thermistor in PSpice Schematic?

Yes, you can simulate the behavior of a thermistor in PSpice Schematic by running a transient analysis. This will show the change in voltage across the thermistor as the temperature changes. You can also perform a parametric analysis to see how different values of resistance and temperature coefficient affect the circuit's behavior.