HIV: Consistency, Color, Infection?

In summary, the consistency of a collection of isolated HIV would most likely be slimy or greasy due to its chemical makeup. It would not be liquid. The color would vary depending on the amount of impurities present. It is unlikely to infect a person through skin contact unless there are open wounds present, as it cannot survive long outside of a host. Each virus within a species is not identical, as there are always some mutations during reproduction. For viruses that can survive outside of a host, such as plant viruses, they can form crystallized forms that can still infect plants after years of storage. Dry HIV would likely form a dry sludge or dusty powder.
Helicobacter
Suppose you fill up a beaker with 1 mole of isolated HIV.
What would be the consistency of this collection of HIV? Slimy? Liquid? What color would it have? If you would put your finger in it, would it infect you if you have no open wounds on your finger, i.o.w. does it penetrate through your finger skin?

Are all viruses of a certain species totally identical (considering no artificial manipulation and no mutation)?

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know about the first part. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be liquid... slimy/greasy is my best guess considering the chemical makeup of a virus, but i could be way off.

for the second part, my understanding is that they would not be identical -- there are always some mutations when anything reproduces... if viruses didn't keep changing we wouldn't need to keep coming up with new vaccines for the same virus.

Last edited:
if HVI could soak into your bloodstream via skin contact, all workers in the hospital were already infected. HIv is not Herpatitis, it can't live long outside, when you put your naked finger in the beaker, they might be already dead :cry:. I don't know about virus culture anyway.
Study glycoprotein. gp120, 41 are cool tools for HIV research.

FWIW - HIV doesn't survive intact outside of a host for very long.

For viruses that do survive well outside the host (mostly plant viruses) consider:

tobacco mosaic virus can be crystallized.

Like other complex molecules that better fit our conventional notion of "chemical". eg., sucrose. Crystallized TMV stored away from light for years can still infect tobacco plants.

I would guess that dry HIV would form some type of dry sludge or possibly a dusty powder based on tiny crystalline forms.

1. What does consistency tell us about HIV?

Consistency refers to the physical properties of HIV, such as its texture and viscosity. These properties can affect how easily the virus can be transmitted and how it interacts with the body's immune system.

2. Can the color of HIV indicate its level of infection?

No, the color of HIV does not indicate its level of infection. HIV is a virus and does not have a specific color. The color of any fluid or substance containing HIV may vary depending on the individual's health and other factors.

3. How does HIV infection occur?

HIV infection occurs when the virus enters the body and attaches itself to immune cells, specifically CD4 cells. This can happen through various means, such as unprotected sexual contact, sharing needles or syringes, or from mother to child during pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding.

4. What is the role of consistency and color in HIV testing?

The consistency and color of HIV are not factors in HIV testing. HIV testing involves detecting the presence of the virus or antibodies to the virus in a person's blood, saliva, or urine, regardless of its consistency or color.

5. Can consistency and color be used to determine the stage of HIV infection?

No, consistency and color cannot be used to determine the stage of HIV infection. The stage of HIV infection is determined by the amount of the virus in the body, the level of CD4 cells, and the presence of any opportunistic infections or symptoms.