Acid/Oils: Bulk storage for collectibles

• Thread starter 2112_Entanglement
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Storage
In summary, the author is converting from carboard boxes to plastic bins, is worried about acid levels, and might try a bookstore or library. There are general requirements for "acid-free" paper, and the author recommends using acid free paper for important records.
2112_Entanglement
Hi this is my first post.

I have a large collection of carded action figures. (A 'carded action figure' is a toy mounted on cardboard by means of a plastic bubble. The toy is sandwiched between the bubble and cardboard).

So, I store my carded action figure collection in generic cardboard boxes. And I am worried about acids from the boxes eating away the collectible cards.

Q1. How can I check for acid levels in the cardboard boxes? I assume that the cardboard boxes are not acid-free. I want to check anyway. There has got to be a backyard chemical 'home brew' that I can wip up SAFELY. You chemical guys are most excellent; however, I do not want to blow my arms off.

I am in the process of converting from carboard boxes to plasic bins (those big cheap suckers from Walmart).

Q2. Is there any residue (oils) that form on (or ooze out of) these types of plastic bins over time?

Q3 & 4 (related to Q2). So, is oil a component of plastic? I noticed that the plastic bins I am finding have an oily feel to them. Is there a way to clean this film off so that the plastic surface is safe for paper/carboard collectibles?

Please help.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You might want to try a well established library or antique store.. I guess they might have some good advice. You might also try a bookstore and ask if they have acid free paper/ boxes, infact I recently bought an acid free archival pen from a regular bookstore :)

How about this link? http://history.pcusa.org/cong/acidpaper.html
General requirements for "acid-free" paper:

made from any cellulose fiber as long as the active acid pulp is eliminated during processing
pH minimum of 8.5 (anything over 7 is alkaline)
a buffer of calcium carbonate at c. 3% to supply alkaline reserves
lignin and sulfur free
25 % cotton or rag for strength (100 % is even better)
The PHS recommends you use acid free paper for your important records. Most good quality bond paper for photocopying or printing from a computer is acid free. You can order acid-free paper and other archival supplies from the following suppliers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently you can buy a pH pen for just $4 with which paper can be tested..
http://www.askphil.org/ap_salm01.htm

There is an inexpensive method for each collector to test their own album page. A pH pen offers a convenient and portable way to distinguish between acidic and alkaline paper, however the pen will not give the exact pH. Abbey Newsletter, 7105 Geneva Drive, Austin, TX 78723 will supply stamp collectors with their pen for $4.00 each, postpaid. A simple instruction sheet is included.

More accurately would probably be a pH strip, explained in the following link:
http://www.librarypreservation.org/preservation/paper1.htm
I just wonder where you would be able to get some.. you might be able to find them at your local pharmacy..!? Maybe also in your home supply store, pH tests are available for pools.

Here a home brew experiment with cabbage.. the good news: the experiment is edible (as testified in the link :P) bad news: I don't think it is really going to give you good information. Another link with cabbage water: http://www.miamisci.org/ph/lpexcite2.html

I hope that helps you along :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
On the plastics: I would be carefull with those. If you are going to use a plastic box, use one made of 'hard' plastic. The softer, less breakable type of plastic contains a lot of plasticides which can leak out over time!

You could just throw a box of baking soda into neutralize any of the acids formed.

Much like you do in your refridgerator.

On baking soda, refrigerators and acids :wink:
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mbakings.html

1. What is the purpose of bulk storage for collectibles?

Bulk storage for collectibles is used to store large quantities of acid or oils in a safe and organized manner. This is important for collectors who have a large collection of these items and need a way to store them efficiently.

2. What types of collectibles can be stored in bulk storage for acid/oils?

Acid and oils are typically used for preserving and maintaining the quality of various items, such as coins, stamps, and artwork. Therefore, these types of collectibles are commonly stored in bulk storage for acid/oils.

3. How should acid/oils be stored in bulk storage?

Acid and oils should be stored in containers that are specifically designed for these substances, such as acid-free folders or airtight containers. It is also important to label the containers correctly and store them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when storing acid/oils in bulk?

Yes, it is important to handle acid and oils with caution as they can be corrosive and potentially harmful. It is recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection, when handling these substances. Additionally, make sure to properly seal and secure containers to prevent any spills or accidents.

5. How long can acid/oils be stored in bulk storage?

The shelf life of acid and oils can vary depending on the type and quality of the product. It is important to check the expiration date and follow proper storage guidelines to ensure the longevity of these substances. Generally, acid and oils can be stored for a few years if stored correctly.

Back