Why does lim f'(x)/g'(x) = 0 when f(x) and g(x) do not equal zero at infinity?

• Thread starter Ertosthnes
  • Start date
In summary: So even though the limit on the right side of L'Hospital's rule exists, the limit on the left does not, making it an invalid use of the rule. And since f(x) and g(x) do not go to 0 as x approaches infinity, the limit of f'(x)/g'(x) could still be 0.
Ertosthnes
Consider f(x) = x + sin(x)cos(x) and g(x) = e[tex]^{sin(x)}[/tex](x + sin(x)cos(x))

Prove that lim[tex]_{x\rightarrow\infty}[/tex] f(x)/g(x) does not exist but that lim[tex]_{x\rightarrow\infty}[/tex] f '(x)/g '(x) = 0. Explain this.

---------------------

Well, it's pretty straightforward to see that lim f(x)/g(x) does not exist, since you end up with lim e[tex]^{-sin(x)}[/tex].

But for the life of me I can't seem to work out how lim f '(x)/g '(x) = 0.

According to L'Hospital's rule, a situation like this should never occur, but I think that it is also important to note that the equations do not meet the condition in L'Hospital's rule:

If f(a) = 0 and g(a) = 0, then lim[tex]_{x\rightarrow\alpha}[/tex] f(x)/g(x) = lim[tex]_{x\rightarrow\alpha}[/tex] f '(x)/g '(x), provided that the limit on the right exists.

In the problem, the limit on the right exists, but the limit on the left is not equal to the one on the right. Also, f(x) and g(x) do not equal zero when x is infinity.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
L'Hopital's Rule says that if lim x->inf f(x)/g(x) is in an indeterminate form of 0/0 OR inf/inf then lim x->inf f(x)/g(x) = lim x->inf f'(x)/g'(x) provided the limit exists. I believe that both become infinitely large as they approach infinity

Oh you're right, the problem is valid according to L'Hospital's law. And yes they do both become infinitely large as x approaches infinity.

However - I still haven't worked out how lim f'(x)/g'(x) goes to zero...

I'm not going to do out all the algebra, but basically here's what you get if you do it out

[tex]f'(x) = 2\cos^2 x[/tex]
[tex]g'(x) = e^{\sin x}[2\cos^2 x + \cos x(x + \sin x \cos x)][/tex]

Dividing them, one of the cos will cancel, leaving

[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{2\cos x}{e^{\sin x}[2\cos x + x + \sin x \cos x]}[/tex]

At this point, we see that the numerator is restricted to [-2, 2]

In the denominator, the trig terms are restricted similarly and the exponential term is restricted to between 1/e and e. Because of this, as x approaches infinity, the linear x term will dominate; the others will be insignificant.

The denominator will approach infinity while the numerator remains finite, so the limit goes to infinity.

It is a case of

[tex]\lim_{x \to\infty} \frac{some finite number}{approaching infinity} = 0[/tex]

it is also amusing to work out

lim f''/g''

I thought that f'(x) was 1+[cos(theta)]^2 - [sin(theta)]^2. But either way you're right about the limit! It's just weird because the limit on the bottom is approaching both positive and negative infinity, although I guess that doesn't matter. Thanks everyone!

Hello again! It turns out that there is a problem with the explanation. I wrote on my paper that the limit of g'(x) as x goes to infinity is +- infinity, since g'(x) oscillates between positive and negative infinity. My professor wrote:

"But cos(x) takes on zero value infinitely many times! This is not true that g'(x) goes to +- infinity as x goes to infinity, g'(x) vanishes infinitely many times as x goes to infinity and the limit of g'(x) does not exist!"

So the reason that the problem does not follow L'Hospital's rule is because the rule does not allow g'(x) to oscillate. But that still leaves me back at square 1, in terms of proving that lim f'(x)/g'(x) = 0.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Ah, never mind! Figured it out!

Chickendude was right about how lim f'(x)/g'(x) -> 0. The reason that this problem does not seem to follow L'Hospital's rule is because since g'(x) oscillates between positive and negative values, it will become zero infinitely many times as x approaches infinity, and L'Hospital's rule excludes functions in which g'(x) = 0 as x -> inf.

1. What is L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule is a mathematical theorem that helps evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of a function f(x) and g(x) both approach 0 or ∞, then the limit of the quotient f(x)/g(x) can be evaluated by taking the derivative of both functions and then evaluating the new quotient.

2. When should L'Hospital's Rule be used?

L'Hospital's Rule should be used when evaluating limits that result in indeterminate forms, which cannot be solved using direct substitution. It is also useful for simplifying complex limits and finding the behavior of a function at critical points.

3. Are there any prerequisites for using L'Hospital's Rule?

Yes, L'Hospital's Rule requires knowledge of basic calculus, including derivatives and limits. It is also helpful to have an understanding of the properties of continuous functions and the definition of a limit.

4. Can L'Hospital's Rule be applied multiple times in one problem?

Yes, L'Hospital's Rule can be applied multiple times in one problem if the resulting limit is still indeterminate. However, it is important to use caution and ensure that the limit is still in an indeterminate form before applying the rule again.

5. Are there any limitations to using L'Hospital's Rule?

Yes, L'Hospital's Rule may not work for all limits and cannot be used to evaluate limits at infinity. It also cannot be used to evaluate limits that result in non-indeterminate forms, such as 1/0 or 0*∞. In addition, it is important to consider the domain of the original function before using L'Hospital's Rule.