Digital logic gate power suppy

In summary: Notes version of merged content:In summary, most ICs will work when powered by the wrong supply voltage, but they will not work exactly to the specifications on the datasheet. If you undersupply a digital part, it'll most likely not switch as fast as it says it will on the datasheet, for example. If you oversupply it, it might get too warm and degrade a noise specification. However, your IC will still work just fine as long as your design does not depend on being right on the edge of a specification.
david90
merged with the other thread by enigma

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Will ICs work if I power it with 3 or 4 1.5 volt bat connected in series? I read that you need to use a power regulator to regulate it to 5 volt but what if you don't? Will it still work?

I guess my question is, is 5 volts from just batteries the same as 5 volts from a regulator. I tried with batteries but didn't work. Just want to confirm.

Virtually all IC's (with the exception of those that use bandgap references or PLL's, etc.) will "work" when powered by the wrong supply voltage; the problem is that they won't work exactly according to the performace specifications on the manufacturer's data sheet. Since making sure a product works according to its datasheet is a huge concern for a semiconductor company, from a liability standpoint, they don't encourage users to use them at different voltages.

If you undersupply a digital part, it'll most likely not switch as fast as it says it will on the datasheet, for example. If you oversupply it, it might get a bit too warm and degrade a noise specification. In general, though, your IC will work just fine as long as your design does not depend on being right on the edge of a specification. (Good designs don't do this anyway!)

- Warren

5V is 5V is 5V. I don't know how you got 5V from "3 or 4 1.5V batteries," though, or maybe my arithmetic is slipping.

- Warren

at school, my ICs (7400,32 etc.) works fine but when I use batteries at home, it doesn't seem to follow the truth table. I thought i might be the power supply fault.

The 74 series is very linear, and should work at just about any supply voltage. According to Fairchild, the 7404 can be operated up to 7V, with 2V to 6V the recommended range.

- Warren

I think your arithmetic is slipping. 4=1.5 = 5.

Anyway, my 7400 ICs doesn't work! it is so weird. it works at school when I use the power supply from those big box.

jk about your arithmetic. but it should somewhat work with 6 volts.

Well, since you're saying it doesn't work, what exactly doesn't it do? What exactly is different about its behavior?

- Warren

I used the OR gate chip and hooked up power to pin 14 and ground to pin 7. Then I hooked led to pin 3 and make pin 1 "high" by connecting it to pin 14. Nothing light up... I'm pretty sure the led is hook up right. cathrode to pin 3 and anode to ground. Resistor is between the led and cathrode. nohting light.

Are you sure you have the led in the right direction? Maybe the led went bad. Do you have a voltmeter to check to see if there is any output on pin 3?

[edit] Why are you saying you are using an OR gate. The 7400 is a NAND gate

Last edited:
problem solved. I re did my circuit. THanks all.

For future reference, you could use a 1k resistor, 47uF cap, and 5V Zener to make a simple power supply with a low idle current cost. Also you could tie the Zener to a linear regulator to handle more current as well.

I've had 15V rated 555 chips literally go up in smoke when my unloaded PS (cheapie wall transformer) would go up to 17V and I hadn't bothered to wire them up with a 12V Zener. At least it was very obvious when it happened. :)

Super cheap way to get a stable 5V source with a few amps of capacity: an old computer power supply. I picked up a couple 250W on sale for $14.99 brand new just a couple weeks ago.

Cliff

1. What is a digital logic gate power supply?

A digital logic gate power supply is a device that provides the necessary electrical power to operate digital logic gates in electronic circuits. These gates are used to manipulate binary signals and perform logical operations, such as AND, OR, and NOT, in order to control the behavior of the circuit.

2. How does a digital logic gate power supply work?

A digital logic gate power supply typically takes in an input voltage from a source, such as a battery or AC outlet, and converts it into a stable output voltage that is used to power the digital logic gates. It also regulates the output voltage to ensure that it remains constant, even when the input voltage fluctuates.

3. What are the different types of digital logic gate power supplies?

There are two main types of digital logic gate power supplies: linear and switching. Linear power supplies use a linear regulator to convert the input voltage to a stable output voltage, while switching power supplies use a switching regulator to achieve the same result. Switching power supplies are more efficient and compact, but can introduce noise into the circuit.

4. How do I choose the right digital logic gate power supply for my circuit?

The right digital logic gate power supply will depend on the specific requirements of your circuit. Some factors to consider include the input voltage range, output voltage and current requirements, efficiency, and noise tolerance. It is important to select a power supply that can provide enough power for all the gates in the circuit, while also meeting any other specific needs.

5. What are some common issues with digital logic gate power supplies?

Some common issues with digital logic gate power supplies include insufficient power, voltage fluctuations, and noise. These issues can cause incorrect or unstable operation of the circuit, and can be caused by factors such as incorrect power supply selection, poor circuit design, or faulty components. It is important to thoroughly test and troubleshoot the power supply and circuit to identify and address any potential issues.