Proving (n^4) + 4 is Composite for All n>1: The Odd n Case

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Composite
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that (n^4)+4 is always a composite number for n>1. The even n part is shown to be obvious, but the proof for odd n cannot be done by simply trying to factorize. It is mentioned that the factors for the odd numbers seem patternless, but upon closer examination, a pattern can be seen. The general proof is given as (n^2+2n+2)(n^2-2n+2).
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How do you prove that (n^4) +4 is composite for all n>1 ?

I found this problem in a book I was reading. The even n part is obvious. The proof for odd n cannot be done by trying to factorize [(2k+1)^4]+4. I know this is true, because I've tried and moreover, the factors of the first few such numbers are : (2*2*5),(5*17),(2*2*5*13),(17*37),(2*2*5*5*13),(5*13*37),... The expected factors of 4 appear in the even numbers, but the factors for the odds seem patternless. So, I imagine that the proof must be done by some other means.

Any ideas ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any factors that tend to occur frequently? Maybe you can solve the problem by cases.

Gokul43201 said:
(2*2*5),(5*17),(2*2*5*13),(17*37),(2*2*5*5*13),(5*13*37),... The expected factors of 4 appear in the even numbers, but the factors for the odds seem patternless.

Are you sure they're patternless? Just look at the odd n for now:

n=3: n^4+4 = 5*17
n=5: n^4+4 = 17*37
n=7: n^4+4 = 5*13*37 = 37*65

And I'll add n=9 for you:

n=9: n^4+4 = 5*13*101 = 65*101

See any pattern yet? That should lead you to the general proof.

thanks

thanks crag,
I must be blind !

On no! The blind leading the blind! :cool:

how about:
[tex]n^4 + 4 = n^4 + 4 - 4n^2 + 4n^2 = (n^2 + 2)^2 - (2n)^2 = (n^2 + 2n + 2)(n^2 - 2n + 2)[/tex]
:)

edit:
sorry, i pulled up an old post... just realized that it's from April not May 20th...

yrch said:
edit:
sorry, i pulled up an old post... just realized that it's from April not May 20th...

What a terrible misdemeanor on your part...
I am almost tempted not to welcome you :smile:

thanks, yrch...that's nice.

Now I really feel like $#!+.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a composite number?

A composite number is a positive integer that can be divided evenly by at least one other positive integer besides 1 and itself.

2. How can you determine if a number is composite?

A number is composite if it has more than two factors, meaning it can be divided evenly by more than two numbers.

3. Is (n^4) + 4 always a composite number?

No, there are some values of n that would make (n^4) + 4 a prime number. For example, when n = 2, the result is 20 which is a composite number, but when n = 3, the result is 85 which is a prime number.

4. What is the significance of adding 4 to (n^4)?

Adding 4 to (n^4) does not necessarily change the nature of the number. It could still be a prime or composite number depending on the value of n.

5. Can (n^4) + 4 ever be a negative number?

No, because any positive number raised to the fourth power will always result in a positive number, and adding 4 to a positive number will never make it negative.