Bleach & Vinegar: Effects on Air, Furniture & Building

• Thread starter rwolo
  • Start date
In summary, the building where the speaker works practices putting 1c. of bleach and 1c. of vinegar in a quart jar and leaving it out in several areas over the weekend before dumping it out on Monday. However, this practice may be harmful to the air and furniture in the building, especially in the basement where the mixture is left out until it evaporates. It is also a potential health risk for the workers and may cause damage to electronic equipment. There are concerns about the long-term effects of this practice on the building's structure and materials.
rwolo
I am new to this so I don't know if I am doing this right, I have some questions. In the building I work they put 1c. of bleach and 1c. of vinegar in a quart jar and set this out in several areas in the building over the weekend and then dump it out on Monday morning. Except in the basement it is left out until it evaporates. My questions are, what is this doing to the air, and is it absorbing into the furniture and other things in the building? This practice has been going for several years.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
That...sounds really unhealthy. Especially in the basement. Bleach + Acid = Chlorine gas (remember; vinegar contains acetic acid). Which no doubt is great at killing bacteria, mold, etc. in the building, but sort of has that pesky problem of being a major health risk to the humans working there as well...

I do hope OSHA knows they're doing this and it's being controlled in some manner so as not to be a health risk.

That's got to be bad for electronic equipment! Are they worried about mold and mildew in the bldg?

chemisttree said:
That's got to be bad for electronic equipment! Are they worried about mold and mildew in the bldg?

Yeah, can't chlorine corrode even aluminum and stainless steel if it's on them for an extended period of time?

yes, they put it out for mold and mildew

1. How does bleach and vinegar affect the air quality in a room?

Bleach and vinegar have strong chemical odors that can irritate the respiratory system. When used in a poorly ventilated area, these chemicals can linger in the air and cause breathing difficulties and other health issues. It is important to use these products in a well-ventilated area to minimize their effects on air quality.

2. Can bleach and vinegar damage furniture and other surfaces?

Yes, both bleach and vinegar are strong acids that can damage and discolor certain types of furniture and surfaces. It is important to test these products on a small, inconspicuous area before using them on a larger surface. Additionally, it is recommended to dilute these chemicals with water before use to lessen their potential for damage.

3. Are bleach and vinegar effective for cleaning and disinfecting buildings?

Yes, both bleach and vinegar have antimicrobial properties that make them effective for cleaning and disinfecting buildings. However, it is important to follow the instructions for proper dilution and usage to ensure they are used safely and effectively. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and a mask, when handling these chemicals.

4. Can bleach and vinegar be used together for cleaning?

While bleach and vinegar can both be effective for cleaning, they should never be mixed together. When mixed, they can create toxic fumes that can be harmful to inhale. It is best to use these products separately and in well-ventilated areas.

5. Are there any alternatives to bleach and vinegar for cleaning and disinfecting?

Yes, there are many alternatives to bleach and vinegar for cleaning and disinfecting. Some options include hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and natural cleaners such as lemon juice and baking soda. It is important to research and follow proper usage instructions for any cleaning product to ensure safety and effectiveness.