Half Wave Antenna Vector Potential

In summary, the vector potential A for two half wave antennas can be calculated using the current as a function of z' and the retarded time, and making approximations for the radiation zone. The electric and magnetic fields can then be found using the vector potential, and the power radiation can be calculated by finding dP/dΩ. In the X Y plane, the antennas should be integrated separately and the results added. The radiation is preferentially propagated along the direction of the antenna separation.
stunner5000pt
Vector Potential

Homework Statement

Consider two half wave antennas each ahving current

[tex] I(z,t)=\hat{z} I_{0}\cos\omega t\sin k(\frac{d}{2}-|z|) [/tex]
where [itex] k=\omega/c[/itex]
Each antenna has length d and points in the z direction. Antenna 1 is at [itex] (\Delta/2,0,0)[/itex] and antenna two is at [itex](-\Delta/2,0,0)[/itex]

a) Find the vector potential A
b) Find the electric and magnetic field
c) Find [tex] dP/d\Omega[/tex]
d) Evalute [tex] dP/d\Omega [/tex] in the X Y plane when the antenna is seaparated by a distance lambda/2. Along what direction is the radiation preferentialy propagated?

Homework Equations

In CGS units so...
[tex] \vec{A}(\vec{r},t)=\frac{1}{c}\int \frac{\vec{J}(\vec{r},t_{r})}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|} d\tau [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So we need the current as a function of z' and the retarded time

[tex]I(z,t)=\hat{z} I_{0}\cos\omega t\sin k(\frac{d}{2}-|z|) [/tex]
[tex]I(z,t)=\hat{z} I_{0}\cos\omega (t-\frac{\mathcal{R}}{c})\sin k(\frac{d}{2}-|z|) [/tex]

where [tex]\mathcal{R}=\sqrt{z'^2+r^2-2z'r\cos\theta}[/tex]
since we want the fields far away (radiation zone), expand
[tex]\mathcal{R}\approx r\left(1-\frac{z'}{r}\cos\theta[/tex]
so then
[tex] \cos\omega (t-\frac{\mathcal{R}}{c})\approx\cos\omega\left(t-\frac{r}{c}\left(1-\frac{z'}{r}\cos\theta\right)\right)[/tex]
[tex] \cos\omega (t-\frac{\mathcal{R}}{c})\approx\cos\omega t \cos\frac{r}{c}\left(1-\frac{z'}{r}\cos\theta\right)+\sin\omega t\sin\frac{r}{c}\left(1-\frac{z'}{r}\cos\theta\right)[/tex]

So then A is calculated like this? make the approximation that [tex] \mathcal{R}\approx r [/tex]

[tex] \vec{A} = \hat{z}\frac{I_{0}}{rc}\int \sin k\left(\frac{d}{2}-|z|\right)\left(\cos\omega (t-\frac{\mathcal{R}}{c})\left(\cos\omega t \cos\frac{r}{c}\left(1-\frac{z'}{r}\cos\theta\right)+\sin\omega t\sin\frac{r}{c}\left(1-\frac{z'}{r}\cos\theta\right)\right) dz'[/tex]

Ok since there are two antennas how should the integration be performed...
should i do for each antenna separately? That is integrate one of them from [itex]\Delta[/itex] to [itex]\Delta+\frac{d}{2}[/itex] and one of them from [itex]\Delta[/itex] to [itex]\Delta-\frac{d}{2}[/itex] ?? And then add the two results?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since it is a radiation problem, I think you are allowed to assume r>>r' and
kr>>1, which greatly simplifies the problem.

1. What is a half wave antenna vector potential?

A half wave antenna vector potential is a measure of the electric and magnetic fields generated by a half wave antenna. It is a mathematical representation of the antenna's ability to transmit and receive electromagnetic waves.

2. How is the half wave antenna vector potential calculated?

The half wave antenna vector potential can be calculated using Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. Specifically, the vector potential is calculated using the vector calculus operator known as the curl.

3. What factors can affect the half wave antenna vector potential?

The half wave antenna vector potential can be affected by various factors such as the antenna's length, shape, and material, as well as the frequency of the electromagnetic waves being transmitted or received. Environmental factors such as nearby structures and interference can also affect the vector potential.

4. How is the half wave antenna vector potential used in antenna design?

The half wave antenna vector potential is an important factor in the design of antennas, as it helps determine the antenna's efficiency and radiation pattern. Engineers use this information to optimize the antenna's performance for specific applications, such as for long-range communication or for high-frequency signals.

5. Can the half wave antenna vector potential be measured?

Yes, the half wave antenna vector potential can be measured using specialized equipment such as vector network analyzers or spectrum analyzers. These tools allow scientists and engineers to analyze the electromagnetic fields generated by the antenna and make adjustments to improve its performance.