Finding Initial Speed: A Basic Physics Problem Solved

In summary: You've summarized the conversation between a student and their physics teacher regarding solving problems involving initial speed and acceleration. The student was unsure of how to rearrange equations and the teacher provided helpful tips and resources. It was determined that the equation a=V-U/t could be used to solve the problem and the student was reminded of the formula v_f = v_i + \Delta v. The teacher also provided a link to a summary of kinematic formulas for further reference. In summary, the student was given guidance on how to approach the problem and provided with helpful resources to aid in their understanding.
Greenjacket
[SOLVED] Basic Initial Speed Problem

Hello,
I've just picked up physics in year 10 and I'm keen to get started. So far I've been fine; I've been taught how to find velocity and acceleration of certain objects, but I'm unsure how to re-arrange the equations I've learned to solve other problems.

Homework Statement

After 6 seconds of acceleration at 2.5ms-2, a car is moving at 60ms-1. What was the initial speed of the car if the acceleration was:
a. Positive
b. Negative

Homework Equations

I think the equation I should use is a=V-U/t (must learn LaTeX...), but I have a feeling I have to re-arrange it somehow.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I multiply the time by acceleration (6x2.5ms-2), I get the change in speed(15ms-1) right? Also, subtracting the initial speed from the final speed gives me, again, the change in speed (which I don't know) right? If I use a trial-and-error method and simply guess the figures, I'd most likely get it wrong. Please help. I'm not expecting anyone to give me the exact answer, but if someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greenjacket said:
If I multiply the time by acceleration (6x2.5ms-2), I get the change in speed(15ms-1) right?
Right. The magnitude of the change in speed is 15 m/s. If the acceleration is positive, the change is +15 m/s; if negative, -15 m/s.

The final speed is initial speed + change:
[tex]v_f = v_i + \Delta v[/tex]

You can use that to solve for the initial speed for both case.

A summary of kinematic formulas is given here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Doc!

1. What is a Basic Initial Speed Problem?

A Basic Initial Speed Problem is a type of physics problem that involves finding the initial speed of an object that is moving with a constant acceleration. It is commonly used to calculate the starting velocity of an object in motion.

2. How do I solve a Basic Initial Speed Problem?

To solve a Basic Initial Speed Problem, you will need to use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. You will also need to gather all the known values and plug them into the equation to solve for the unknown initial speed.

3. What is the difference between initial speed and final speed?

Initial speed is the starting velocity of an object, while final speed is the velocity of the object at a particular time. In a Basic Initial Speed Problem, the initial speed is the value that you are trying to find, while the final speed is often given in the problem.

4. Why are Basic Initial Speed Problems important?

Basic Initial Speed Problems are important because they help us understand the motion of objects and how acceleration affects their speed. They also allow us to make predictions about the behavior of objects in motion and can be applied to various real-life situations.

5. What are some common units used in Basic Initial Speed Problems?

The most common units used in Basic Initial Speed Problems are meters per second (m/s) for speed, meters per second squared (m/s²) for acceleration, and seconds (s) for time. However, other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph) may also be used depending on the context of the problem.