Mathematical Methods/Classical Mechanics

In summary, PFStudent is looking for a rigorous textbook for a Mathematical Methods course taken after a one-semester Modern Physics course, and for a rigorous textbook for a Classical Mechanics course taken after a Junior level Physics course.
PFStudent
Hey,

I wanted some suggestions on a rigorous textbook for a Mathematical Methods course (which at my college) is taken after a one-semester (Differential Equations based) Modern Physics course in the sophomore year. Basically, I am looking for textbook suggestions that are considered "standard" and rigorous for a Mathematical Methods course for a physics major.

Additionally, I would also like suggestions for a "standard" and rigorous textbook for a junior level classical mehanics course. Personally, I'd like to find a textbook that is as rigorous for junior level Classical Mechanics as Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics is for junior level Classical Electricity & Magnetism.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
PFStudent said:
Additionally, I would also like suggestions for a "standard" and rigorous textbook for a junior level classical mehanics course. Personally, I'd like to find a textbook that is as rigorous for junior level Classical Mechanics as Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics is for junior level Classical Electricity & Magnetism.

Greg Bernhardt posted a link to lecture notes that are freely available in the Advanced Physics Learning Materials forum. I'm not sure whether they fit your needs, but if not, you might use them to define what you are looking for, like "I'm missing treatment of ... there" or "Its too rigorous / not rigorous enough". So here it is, about 3MB (pdf):

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=220908

If you have a slow internet connection, you might prefer to follow this link and have a look at the individual chapters of the lecture notes in HTML format to see if you like it:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/336k/lectures/

(it seems to be the same stuff, but I'm not sure whether the versions are really identical or whether they slightly differ)

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the motion of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of microscopic particles. Classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion, while quantum mechanics is based on the principles of quantum theory.

2. What are the mathematical methods used in classical mechanics?

The mathematical methods used in classical mechanics include calculus, differential equations, vector calculus, and linear algebra. These methods are used to describe and analyze the motion of objects in space and time.

3. What is the significance of Hamiltonian mechanics in classical mechanics?

Hamiltonian mechanics is a mathematical formulation of classical mechanics that allows for a more elegant and concise description of the dynamics of a system. It is based on the concept of energy conservation and is widely used in various fields of physics and engineering.

4. How does classical mechanics explain the motion of objects?

Classical mechanics explains the motion of objects through Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. This force can cause the object to change its position, speed, or direction of motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has many real-life applications, including the design of structures and machines, the prediction of the motion of celestial bodies, and the development of transportation systems. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids, such as air and water, in various engineering applications.