Plane banking: Pitch and roll axes

In summary, turning the yoke on an airplane causes the lift vector to bank in the same direction as the airplane, causing the plane to pitch down.
Saladsamurai
Alrighty-then:smile:

Homework Statement

This is from a book called "Engineering by Design." It sucks. Really. It asks problems and doesn't provide sufficient information to answer them. Now that I have complained, here is the question:

Explain with sketches why a combination of rotations about the pitch and roll axes results in a plane banking through the air (with the rudder then used for slight corrections in the turn).

I am a little lost on this to say the least. I know no one can draw it out for me, but if someone could at least briefly explain the procedure, I might be able to wing it --no pun.

Does the order of the rotations matter? That is, pitch first, then roll...or the other way around? Or does it not matter?

Any clues would help :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
If you turn the yoke on the airplane, the airplane will roll in the same direction.

This causes the lift vector to bank at the same angle as the airplane. So if the airplane is flying level, Lift= weight. When you turn, the lift in the z -axis is now only Lcos(theta).
So the plane is going to pitch down unless you correct for that by pulling back on the yoke, giving it up elevator.

Cyrus said:
If you turn the yoke on the airplane, the airplane will roll in the same direction.

This causes the lift vector to bank at the same angle as the airplane. So if the airplane is flying level, Lift= weight. When you turn, the lift in the z -axis is now only Lcos(theta).
So the plane is going to pitch down unless you correct for that by pulling back on the yoke, giving it up elevator.

Perfect! I was just looking at a website I found that was explaining this! But your way is much more concise.

1. What is plane banking?

Plane banking refers to the tilting or rolling motion of an aircraft along its longitudinal axis. This is done to change the direction of the aircraft or to maintain its balance in the air.

2. What is the pitch axis in plane banking?

The pitch axis is an imaginary line that runs horizontally through the center of the aircraft from the nose to the tail. It is perpendicular to the roll axis and is responsible for controlling the up and down movement of the aircraft.

3. What is the roll axis in plane banking?

The roll axis is an imaginary line that runs through the center of the aircraft from wingtip to wingtip. It is perpendicular to the pitch axis and is responsible for controlling the rolling or banking motion of the aircraft.

4. How are the pitch and roll axes controlled during plane banking?

The pitch and roll axes are controlled by the pilot using the control surfaces of the aircraft, such as the elevator on the tail and the ailerons on the wings. By manipulating these control surfaces, the pilot can change the angle of the aircraft's pitch and roll.

5. Why is it important for an aircraft to have a stable pitch and roll axis?

A stable pitch and roll axis is crucial for the safe operation of an aircraft. Without proper control over these axes, the aircraft can become unstable and difficult to fly, potentially leading to accidents. Additionally, a stable aircraft allows for smoother and more comfortable flights for passengers.