Living a Long Life: Diet and Habits

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, Scientists are starting to understand the details of what makes us age, right down to the level of our DNA. It's becoming realistic to think about intervening in the aging process. Already there are astonishing results with lab animals, with some living 4 times as long as normal. If one wants to live a LOOOONG life, it may not matter what they eat and drink.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If one wants to live a LOOOONG life doe's it matter what one eats and drinks?

I recon it is all in the mind set, if one doe's not want to kick the bucket one will endure,
just so long as some thing doe's not come along and throw a spanner in the works.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chocolate and peanutbutter are a good start.

glondor said:
Eliminating or limiting?

glondor said:

I guess you are American, i tried a peanut butter and (jam) sarnie, (jelly is the wobbly stuff that kids eat), and it was the most evil taste i have ever experienced.

I've heard that calorie intake slightly below the recommended level is being conducted in longevity studies of Rhesus monkeys.

EAT LESS - LIVE LONGER

ALAN ALDA: We may not like it, but this is where we all end up after our allotted span. This is Albertine -- she lived 62 years; Sarah -- 45 years; Joseph -- 74 years. Many different ages, but you won't find any past about 120, and the average right now is in the seventies. But what if I told you, you wouldn't have to check in here until you were 150 years old? 200? 250? Right now a lot of serious, smart Scientists are beginning to say that's what's possible. They're starting to understand the details of what makes us age, right down to the level of our DNA. It's becoming realistic to think about intervening in the aging process. Already there are astonishing results with lab animals, with some living 4 times as long as normal. In this program, we'll be meeting Scientists whose work may help us live longer -- a lot longer. And we'll also be asking what it would be like to live a lot longer -- would life be worth living? But how do we get there? How do we get to a longer life? This first way may surprise you...
This is that great Scientific American show which also discussed telomeres.

Transcript http://www.pbs.org/saf/transcripts/transcript1003.htm#2

Whay can't it be "eat more, live longer"? Why is all the tasty stuff bad for you?

I was curious about follow up.

http://www2.medicine.wisc.edu/home/people-search/people/staff/1527/WEINDRUCH_RICHARD_H

Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
I guess you are American, i tried a peanut butter and (jam) sarnie, (jelly is the wobbly stuff that kids eat), and it was the most evil taste i have ever experienced.

Are you serious?!? Wow. The peanut butter and jam sandwich is like an old friend (only it doesn't ever call you at 3 in the morning drunk, crying that it can't find the car).

wolram said:
If one wants to live a LOOOONG life doe's it matter what one eats and drinks?

I recon it is all in the mind set, if one doe's not want to kick the bucket one will endure,
just so long as some thing doe's not come along and throw a spanner in the works.

I'm pretty sure it's not all in the mind set since villages where people live significantly longer have been connected to their foods. Yuzuri Hara is the example that stands out in my mind. I think it was their potatoes (or more specifically, the nutrient rich soil the potatoes were grown in).

That being said, a healthy mindset is required along side a healthy physical lifestyle for optimum living.

Evo said:
I've heard that calorie intake slightly below the recommended level is being conducted in longevity studies of Rhesus monkeys.

This is that great Scientific American show which also discussed telomeres.

Transcript http://www.pbs.org/saf/transcripts/transcript1003.htm#2

Whay can't it be "eat more, live longer"? Why is all the tasty stuff bad for you?

I was curious about follow up.

http://www2.medicine.wisc.edu/home/people-search/people/staff/1527/WEINDRUCH_RICHARD_H

Cool, but if i become a lab animal will i still have human rights? may be if i live an extra 50 yrs i will come to like peanut butter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pythagorean said:
I'm pretty sure it's not all in the mind set since villages where people live significantly longer have been connected to their foods. Yuzuri Hara is the example that stands out in my mind. I think it was their potatoes (or more specifically, the nutrient rich soil the potatoes were grown in).

That being said, a healthy mindset is required along side a healthy physical lifestyle for optimum living.

I still think one has to be an occurred cuss, and even genetics play a large role (no one in my family has died young), excepting an uncle who died in ww1.

wolram said:
I still think one has to be an occurred cuss, and even genetics play a large role (no one in my family has died young), excepting an uncle who died in ww1.
My father's side of the family was so long-lived that someone had to kill one of them to start a cemetery.

turbo-1 said:
My father's side of the family was so long-lived that someone had to kill one of them to start a cemetery.
:rofl:

Pickled in chili i guess.

wolram said:
:rofl:

Pickled in chili i guess.
No, that side of the family is Irish. They probably got the old gent pickled (I'm thinking single-malt) and cold-cocked him before he could get the best of them.

wolram said:
Cool, but if i become a lab animal will i still have human rights? may be if i live an extra 50 yrs i will come to like peanut butter.

Hey, don't knock it. If you become a lab animal, you'll have MORE rights than a human! No more drafty windows, and someone will come in every day to change your bedding and give you food and beverage and check that you're still healthy. It's a pretty sweet deal. :biggrin:

Seaweed!

Moonbear said:
Hey, don't knock it. If you become a lab animal, you'll have MORE rights than a human! No more drafty windows, and someone will come in every day to change your bedding and give you food and beverage and check that you're still healthy. It's a pretty sweet deal. :biggrin:

Okay, so where do i sign up?

wolram said:
Okay, so where do i sign up?

Let's not make hasty decisions here. I don't think most lab animals have the privilege to use the internet. You might be cut off from PF and we all know what that means.

misgfool said:
Let's not make hasty decisions here. I don't think most lab animals have the privilege to use the internet. You might be cut off from PF and we all know what that means.

A lot of people shouting YIPEEEEE?:smile:

wolram said:
A lot of people shouting YIPEEEEE?:smile:

No, that's not true... well maybe your spouse, but not the rest of us. That razor sharp wits of yours is hard currency here.

What is the importance of diet and habits in living a long life?

Diet and habits play a crucial role in determining our overall health and longevity. A balanced and nutritious diet, along with healthy habits such as regular exercise, adequate sleep, and stress management, can help prevent chronic diseases and promote longevity.

What foods should be included in a diet for a long life?

A diet for a long life should include a variety of whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. These foods provide essential nutrients and antioxidants that can help protect against age-related diseases.

Are there any specific foods that should be avoided for a long life?

Processed foods, high in added sugars, unhealthy fats, and preservatives, should be limited in a diet for a long life. These foods have been linked to various health issues and can increase the risk of chronic diseases.

What are some habits that can promote a long life?

In addition to a healthy diet, regular exercise, adequate sleep, and stress management, there are other habits that can promote a long life. These include maintaining strong social connections, staying mentally active, and avoiding harmful behaviors such as smoking and excessive alcohol consumption.

Can a healthy diet and habits reverse the effects of aging?

While a healthy diet and habits cannot reverse the aging process, they can certainly slow it down and improve overall health. Eating a nutritious diet and practicing healthy habits can help prevent age-related diseases and promote a better quality of life in our later years.