Zero point energy of hydrogen atom

In summary: I don't think zero point energy means n must be zero. e.g. in the case of particle in a box, zero-point energy is at n=1, since n cannot be zero. So I think zero-point energy has nothing to do with n=0.
feynmann
Zero point energy and hydrogen atom

In quantum mechanics, the lowest energy level of Simple Harmonic Oscilator is not zero and equal to hw/2. It is called the zero point energy.
Is the energy level at ground state of hydrogen atom the zero point energy also?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
good question

No. The ground state of the H atom does however have a non-zero energy. The energy eigenvalues of the H atom are yielded by this formula. At first glance, it looks like it should have a zero energy in the ground state, as n=0 would give E=0. But it's a quirk of the maths that n is an integer greater than zero, or you don't have a solution of the Schroedinger equation.

If we define the zero-point energy as the difference between the smallest possible energy in the quantum theory and the smallest possible energy in the classical theory, then the zero-point energy of hydrogen is infinite. This is because the classical energy can be made as negative as we like by putting the electron in a classical orbit with an arbitrarily small radius. By the virial theorem, the potential energy is always -2 times the kinetic energy, and the potential energy goes like one over the radius, so the smaller the radius, the more negative the total energy.

muppet said:
At first glance, it looks like it should have a zero energy in the ground state, as n=0 would give E=0.
Actually, n=0 would give E = minus infinity.

Yes, yes it would. Silly error.
I've never seen that definition of the zero point energy before, but it makes sense. You learn something new every day... (or at least you'd hope to, being a student :tongue:)

muppet said:
No. The ground state of the H atom does however have a non-zero energy. The energy eigenvalues of the H atom are yielded by this formula. At first glance, it looks like it should have a zero energy in the ground state, as n=0 would give E=0. But it's a quirk of the maths that n is an integer greater than zero, or you don't have a solution of the Schroedinger equation.

I don't think zero point energy means n must be zero. e.g. in the case of particle in a box, zero-point energy is at n=1, since n cannot be zero. So I think zero-point energy has nothing to do with n=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_in_a_box

"In physics, the zero-point energy is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system may have and is the energy of the ground state. "

One can define it as this

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-point_energy

In physics, the zero-point energy is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system may have and is the energy of the ground state. The quantum mechanical system that encapsulates this energy is the zero-point field. The concept was first proposed by Albert Einstein and Otto Stern in 1913. The term "zero-point energy" is a calque of the German Nullpunktenergie. All quantum mechanical systems have a zero point energy. The term arises commonly in reference to the ground state of the quantum harmonic oscillator and its null oscillations.

muppet said:

So this post is incorrect. And the ground state energy of hydrogen is supplied by zero-point energy.

I think he means that the ground state energy of hydrogen is itself a kind of zero point energy.

feynmann said:
In quantum mechanics, the lowest energy level of Simple Harmonic Oscilator is not zero and equal to hw/2. It is called the zero point energy.
Is the energy level at ground state of hydrogen atom the zero point energy also?

Yes. It's the lowest allowed energy you can have. At zero temperature (K=0), the hydrogen atom will still have this energy remaining. Zero point energy as far as I'm aware, just means any energy that will still be contained in the system at the point of zero temperature. Classically, as has already been said, the system could reach lower and lower energy simply by allowing the electron to get as close as it wants to the proton, releasing a constant stream of Bremsstrahlung radiation as it accelerates inwards. However, the laws of quantum mechanics forbid this event (fortunately) and so there's a point at which the electron can get no lower in energy. This is known as the zero point energy.

Why anyone thinks that this energy can be harnessed in any way is beyond me. That electron is not going to get lower in energy. It's almost like someone harnessing the gravitational potential of the earth. Once you get to the centre, you're not going to get anymore out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since it's a conservative field, you can set your potential energy at any arbitrary value. So we could say that this centre of the Earth is at a potential energy of 1000000000000000000 Joules, but trying to get this energy out at the end would be stupid. Sorry, I'm just a little frustrated by these perpetual motion fanatics trying to get blood out of a stone.

feynmann said:
I don't think zero point energy means n must be zero. e.g. in the case of particle in a box, zero-point energy is at n=1, since n cannot be zero. So I think zero-point energy has nothing to do with n=0

n=1 is generally (according to the usual notation) taken to be the lowest value. It all depends on how you define the terms in the maths. I could replace all the (n)'s in the above formula for (n+2) and then use n=-1 for the zero point. The maths would be the same, but the index, n, would take on different values.

so there's a point at which the electron can get no lower in energy. This is known as the zero point energy.

Why anyone thinks that this energy can be harnessed in any way is beyond me. That electron is not going to get lower in energy.

I gather they are thinking of zero point energy as a sort of heat energy of space itself.

It's possible to use ocean wave to generate electricity. So why not zero point energy?

if you take the hbar omega/2 from the harmonic oscilator for instance, where would that state go into? It is already in the ground state, there is not state below the ground state which it can go to, hence you can "steal" that energy.

DeShark said:
n=1 is generally (according to the usual notation) taken to be the lowest value. It all depends on how you define the terms in the maths. I could replace all the (n)'s in the above formula for (n+2) and then use n=-1 for the zero point. The maths would be the same, but the index, n, would take on different values.

In the case of particle in a box, n is the number of wavelength that can fit in the box.
Try set n=0 and see what happens to the energy level of <particle in a box>?
If you set n=-1, does it mean that "negative wavelength" can fit in the box?

Last edited:
feynmann said:
In the case of particle in a box, n is the number of wavelength that can fit in the box.
Try set n=0 and see what happens to the energy level of <particle in a box>?
If you set n=-1, does it mean that "negative wavelength" can fit in the box?

That's only because they've taken [tex]sin(n \pi x/ \lambda)[/tex] (or whatever it is) as the solution to the wave equation. If they took [tex]sin( (n+2) \pi x/ \lambda)[/tex] that would work just as well, but only for n>-1. That's what I meant by replacing all the terms by (n+2). The maths is the same, it's just translated to a different index. It changes nothing physically. Some sort of symmetry I guess. Invariance under a change of index?

1) What is zero point energy?

Zero point energy is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system can have. It is the energy that remains even at absolute zero temperature, when all thermal motion has stopped.

2) How does the concept of zero point energy apply to the hydrogen atom?

The hydrogen atom is a quantum mechanical system, meaning it follows the laws of quantum mechanics. This means that even at its lowest energy state, the electron in the hydrogen atom still has some residual energy due to its wave-like nature, which is known as zero point energy.

3) What is the significance of zero point energy in the hydrogen atom?

The presence of zero point energy in the hydrogen atom has important consequences for its stability and behavior. It allows the electron to remain in its lowest energy state, known as the ground state, and prevents it from collapsing into the nucleus.

4) Can zero point energy be observed or measured?

No, zero point energy cannot be directly observed or measured. However, its effects can be seen in various phenomena such as the Casimir effect and the Lamb shift.

5) Is zero point energy unique to the hydrogen atom?

No, zero point energy is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and applies to all quantum mechanical systems, including atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. However, the exact value of zero point energy may vary depending on the system.