Alternative Methods to Die Casting :

• Thread starter ronvieky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Casting
In summary, someone suggested a lathe and reaming, but another person suggested a rapid casting process.
ronvieky
Anyone knows of any alternative methods ot fabricate a Copper-Berrilium / or Copper-Nickel / alloy into a small tubular form (Custom design)...

I need to Mold a Copper Alloy with the following dimensions : Precision required.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/23/1880222/Copper%20Tube%20Fabrication.JPG [Broken]

R1 = 5mm
R2 = 6.5mm
L = 40mm
Rc = 3mm

(tip of this part is conical, and Closed, hence radius of this Hemisphere end Rc )

And that's it. But i need a maximum of 20 Pieces of this part. So i cannot go for Die-casting. It'l be way too expensive for me... Does anyone know of any other methods to fabricate this in Copper - or any of its alloys?

I need it for Heat-transfer applications, which may involve rapid heating and cooling of the part. What is the best way to do this? and the cheapest. cuz, i don't want high volume. only high precision.

Please suggest.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I was going to suggest a lathe, and reaming, but that's after mistaking your dimensions as cm. If you have access to a machine shop / good machinist you should probably talk to them and see if they might be able to help you. On the other hand, you'd probably be able to braze a hollow semisphere onto the pipe, but that might impact your intended use:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazing

If you can get it in bar stock you shouldn't have a problem machining it.

lost wax casting ?
cheap
good enuff for jewelry

Not sure but in the past, these guys have given us detailed help with lost wax / http://www.deangroup-int.co.uk/" [Broken] queries. May be try giving them a call?

Last edited by a moderator:
i have used rapid casting in the past and that is good for up to 50 off depending upon the tool. Quite a small part so shouldn't be too pricey. what's your budget?

1. What are alternative methods to die casting?

Alternative methods to die casting include sand casting, investment casting, and permanent mold casting. These methods use different materials and techniques to create a mold and pour molten metal into it. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages.

2. How do alternative methods compare to die casting in terms of cost?

The cost of alternative methods can vary greatly depending on factors such as the type of metal being used, the complexity of the part, and the volume of production. In general, die casting tends to be more expensive upfront due to the cost of creating the dies, but it can be more cost-effective for high volume production. Alternative methods may have lower upfront costs, but can be more expensive in the long run for high volume production due to higher labor and material costs.

3. Are alternative methods to die casting as precise as die casting?

Die casting is known for its high precision and dimensional accuracy. While alternative methods can also produce precise parts, they may not be able to achieve the same level of precision as die casting. This is due to the nature of the molds used and the pouring process.

4. What types of materials can be used for alternative methods to die casting?

Alternative methods can use a variety of materials, including various types of metals, alloys, and ceramics. The specific material used will depend on the chosen method and the desired properties of the final product.

5. How do alternative methods to die casting affect the environment?

Die casting is known for its high energy and resource consumption, making it potentially harmful to the environment. Alternative methods, such as investment casting and permanent mold casting, can be more environmentally friendly as they use less energy and produce less waste. However, the environmental impact will vary depending on the specific method used and the materials involved.