Best Anti-Virus Software: Comparison of 16 Programs

• Thread starter Equate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary, the article discusses the results of a test in which 16 different antivirus programs were pitted against malware. Avast! was found to be one of the winning programs, and Malwarebytes is also recommended as a tool to remove the infection.
Equate
I noticed there is always the occasional user looking for advice regarding anti virus software.

To make the decision easier and provide some pretty good info along the way, av-comparatives.org had 16 AV/malware detection/removal programs going head to head in a comprehensive test.

10 malware samples were installed on a PC and the AV programs got a shot at them. Some did good, some did worse. Some are freeware, some have to be purchased. Here it goes:Article on ars technica: http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2009/10/av-comparatives-picks-six-malware-removal-winners.ars"

Full (Removal) test at av-comparatives.org (PDF): http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/removal/avc_removal_2009.pdf"

Full (Detection ) test at av-comparatives.org (PDF): http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report23.pdf" I know, everybody thinks that "their" program they are currently using is the "best", no matter what. :wink: I thought so, too, but after reading the tests I quickly dumped my "trusty" AV software and switched to another.

I hope this helps some people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Avast! Home Edition 5.0.239 Beta / 4.8.1368 available:

This version adds scheduled scanning and detection of less risky "potentially unwanted programs." Avast! uses a new virus database format optimized for incremental updates. And the app's new gaming mode suppresses popups when it detects a program running in full-screen mode. Other notable features include boot-time scanning, wake-up from sleep mode to scan, and automatic scanning of files received via e-mail, IM clients, and P2P clients. And unlike AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 9.0, avast!'s free edition has all the power of the paid Pro edition.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2356315,00.asp

Download: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Avast-Home-Edition.shtml"

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one removes that damned Internet Security 2010?

I'm running a scan using McAfee, but my hopes aren't high. From what I've been reading, it could be hard to remove.

Avast is an incredible FREE (for private use) AV package, and it automatically updates at least once daily. I've been running it for years, after Norton AV let one too many nasties in.

Definition of antivirus in a windows OS - Proprietary third party software made by organizations which have the sole intention of making money to make up for the security vulnerable and buggy OS made by MS (again an organization which has the sole intention of making money) possible by charging extra money.

Personally, I used avast, and it worked really well...there were no viruses (ok there was one case when a virus was successful...I had to 'format' the system in that case) however some people complained that it deletes system files (which can be done by anyone...a cracker or another virus or a simple bat file in a windows compromised system).

dE_logics said:
Yup!...you should pay more $$$ to deserve an anti virus program.
BobG enquired about a program to remove
Internet Security 2010

as per my link, the Malwarebytes program, which is NOT an antivirus program, is suggested to use to remove the infection ; as you may know, one may need to use more than one malware-removal program to rid a computer of an infection

and the Malwarebytes program is free !

What is the best anti-virus software?

The best anti-virus software depends on your specific needs and preferences. It is important to research and compare different programs to determine which one offers the most comprehensive protection for your devices.

What criteria should I consider when choosing an anti-virus software?

Some important factors to consider when choosing an anti-virus software include the level of protection it offers, its compatibility with your devices, its user-friendliness, and its cost. You should also look for reviews and ratings from trusted sources to help guide your decision.

Are free anti-virus programs as effective as paid programs?

While some free anti-virus programs can provide basic protection, they often lack the advanced features and updates that paid programs offer. Paid programs typically have better customer support and more frequent updates to keep up with evolving threats. It is important to thoroughly research and compare both free and paid options before making a decision.

How often should I update my anti-virus software?

It is recommended to update your anti-virus software at least once a week, if not more frequently. This ensures that your program has the latest virus definitions and can effectively protect your devices from new threats. Some programs offer automatic updates, which can make this process easier.

Can anti-virus software slow down my computer?

Some anti-virus programs can use a significant amount of your computer's resources, which can slow down its performance. However, many programs have been designed to minimize their impact on system resources. It is important to research and choose a program that balances effective protection with minimal impact on your device's performance.