Orders of poles in the complex plane.

In summary, the order of the poles at i and -i for the function f(z)= [e^(2*pi*i*a*z)] / [1 + z^2] is 2. The formula for determining the order of poles is order = n, where n is the highest power of z in the denominator of the Laurent series expansion of the function at that pole. While you can also use the power series method by comparing the number of "zero coefficients," it may not always be reliable. It is recommended to use the formula for accurate results.
jameson2

Homework Statement

For a function f(z)= [e^(2*pi*i*a*z)] / [1 + z^2] I need to find the order of the poles at i and -i.
(I'm pretty sure these are the only poles.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not totally clear on how I go about finding the orders. I have a vague idea: I can factorise the bottom line to get (z-i)(z+i) and I think this means that both poles are of order 1.
But I want to try do the question by using the power series of the numerator and denominator, by comparing the number of "zero coefficients" in each power series.
Anyone know how to do this method?

Physics news on Phys.org

To find the order of a pole, you can use the formula:
order = n, where n is the highest power of z in the denominator of the Laurent series expansion of the function at that pole. In this case, the denominator is (1+z^2), so the highest power of z is 2. Therefore, the poles at i and -i are both of order 2.

To use the power series method, you can expand the numerator and denominator separately and compare the number of "zero coefficients." However, this method may not always be reliable as it depends on the specific function and the choice of power series. It is better to use the formula mentioned above to determine the order of poles.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with your problem!

What are orders of poles in the complex plane?

Orders of poles refer to the number of times a function is singular at a specific point in the complex plane. In other words, it is the highest power of the complex variable in the denominator of the function.

How do you determine the order of a pole?

The order of a pole can be determined by examining the behavior of the function at that point. If the function approaches infinity as the complex variable approaches the point, then it is a pole of order 1. If the function approaches infinity at a faster rate, it is a pole of higher order.

What is the significance of the order of a pole?

The order of a pole is important in understanding the behavior of a function, especially near that particular point. It can affect the convergence and divergence of series expansions, as well as the behavior of the function's contour integrals.

Can a function have poles of different orders?

Yes, a function can have poles of different orders at different points in the complex plane. For example, a function may have a pole of order 1 at one point and a pole of order 2 at another point.

How are poles of higher order different from simple poles?

Poles of higher order have a more significant impact on the behavior of a function compared to simple poles. For example, a function with a pole of order 2 will have a sharper bend in the graph near that point compared to a function with a simple pole. Additionally, the residue of a higher order pole will have a greater impact on the value of the contour integral compared to a simple pole.