Loc Max, Min, increase & decrease

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the local max, local min, and when the function is increasing and decreasing for the given function G(x) = x - 4 sqrt[x]. The discussion also touches on finding the point of inflection, which can be defined differently depending on the context. It is suggested to graph the function carefully and to find the derivative and its roots to determine the local extrema. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the domain of the function.
rumaithya
Hello, I have a question about these things

What is the local Max, local Min, when is the function increasing and decreasing!

the function is:

G(x)= x - 4 sqrt[x]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why do you have questions about them? Is this homework? If so, it should be posted in the homework section and you should show what you have done so we will know what kind of hints will help.

Here, I suggest that you write the function as G(x)= x- 4x2 (Is [x] just "parentheses" or "greatest integer function"? I'm assuming it's just parens.)

The maximum value will occur where G'= 0 or G' does not exist (look carefully at x=0).
The function is increasing where G'> 0 and decreasing where G'< 0.

If this is really x- 4 sqrt("greatest integer less than or equal to x"), then it is not differentiable. I would recommend you graph it carefully.

and a local minima when G ' ' > 0 and local maxima when G ' ' < 0, point of infelction when G ' ' = 0

rumaithya said:
What is the local Max, local Min, when is the function increasing and decreasing!

the function is:

G(x)= x - 4 sqrt[x]

First find the domain of the function. You know the function is only real when x >= 0 (or at least in my reality :wink: )

Secondly, find the derivative. I got this as the derivative:

[tex]1 - 2x^{\frac{-1}{2}}[/tex]

Just by looking at the equation you were given, you know G(x) is going to be negative at low x values. Since it starts decreasing, the local maximum is 0. To find the local minimum, set the derivative G'(x) equal to 0, solve for x, then fill that x value into your original formula G(x).

To find when the function is increasing or decreasing, substitute x values into the derivative. Sub in an X value slightly less than where the derivative equals 0, then sub in an X value slightly more than where the derivative equals 0.

I got these answers:
Local Max G(x) = 0
Local Min G(x) = -4
Decreasing when 0 > x > 4
Increasing when 4 > x > infinity

gazzo said:
point of infelction when G ' ' = 0
Not always. For example G = x^6, at x = 0 there is a minimum yet G ' ' = 0 at x = 0.

Zurtex said:
Not always. For example G = x^6, at x = 0 there is a minimum yet G ' ' = 0 at x = 0.

That's still an inflection point though.

ShawnD said:
That's still an inflection point though.
It is? :confused:

I seem to have the wrong idea on what an inflection is then, could you please explain.

The definition is somewhat subjective. Inflection is sometimes defined as simply when the second derivative is 0, but it can also be when concavity changes. For X^6, the second derivative is 0, but the concavity does not change.
Depends on definition I guess.

Interesting point. In real calculus I am used to defining an inflection point as one where curvature changes sign, but in complex calculus where that presumably makes less sense, I define inflection point as a point where the tangent line has order of contact higher than two, hence in this case where the second derivative vanishes also. I never realized before I am using different definitions in different settings.

1. What is a local maximum and how is it identified?

A local maximum is a point on a graph where the function reaches its highest value in a specific interval, but is not necessarily the highest point in the entire graph. To identify a local maximum, you must first find all the critical points of the function, which are points where the derivative is equal to zero or does not exist. Then, you can use the first or second derivative test to determine if the critical point is a local maximum.

2. How are local minima different from global minima?

A local minimum is a point on a graph where the function reaches its lowest value in a specific interval, but is not necessarily the lowest point in the entire graph. On the other hand, a global minimum is the lowest point in the entire graph. This means that a global minimum is also a local minimum, but the opposite is not necessarily true. A local minimum can occur at multiple points, whereas a global minimum only occurs at one point.

3. What is the difference between increase and decrease in a function?

Increase and decrease refer to the direction in which a function is moving. A function is increasing if its values are getting larger as the input increases, and it is decreasing if its values are getting smaller as the input increases. In other words, an increasing function has a positive slope, while a decreasing function has a negative slope.

4. Can a function have both a local maximum and a local minimum?

Yes, a function can have both a local maximum and a local minimum. This occurs when the function changes from increasing to decreasing, or vice versa, at a specific point. This point would be a local maximum for one interval and a local minimum for another interval.

5. How can I find the intervals of increase and decrease for a function?

To find the intervals of increase and decrease for a function, you can first find the critical points of the function. Then, you can use the first derivative test to determine the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing. The intervals of increase will be where the derivative is positive, and the intervals of decrease will be where the derivative is negative.