Szabo, A.; Ostlund, N. S. (1996). MODERN QUANTUM CHEMISTRY Exercise 3.21

In summary, the task is to use the STO-1G function and the scaling relation to calculate the STO-1G overlap for an orbital exponent of zeta = 1.24 at R = 1.4 a.u., which corresponds to a result of S12 = 0.6648. The formula for overlap integrals in Appendix A should be used, while keeping in mind the normalization factor. The equation for a 1s primitive Gaussian function is given, and the concept of contracting two Gaussians is explained. The substitution for g1stilde(r - RA) is shown, but the solution is not yet complete.
Tuffi

Homework Statement

"Use definition (3.219) for the STO-1G function and the scaling relation (3.224) to show that the STO-1G overlap for an orbital exponent zeta = 1.24 at R = 1.4 a. u., corresponding to result (3.229), is S12 = 0.6648. Use the formula in Appendix A for overlap integrals. Do not forget normalization."

Homework Equations

Phi1sCGF = (zeta = 1.0, STO-1G) = Phi1sGF(0.270950) (3.219)

alpha = alpha(zeta = 1.0) * zeta^2 (3.224)

S=(1.0 0.6593)
(0.6593 1.0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved the unnormalized function into:
Phi1sCGF = 0.3696 * exp(-0.4166*r^2)

I'm a little bit confused which overlap integral has to be used in the Appendix A. There is a 2-center overlap integral mentioned, but I don't get the hang of it. Actually I don't even understand how Gaussian functions are contracted.

g1stilde(r - RA) = exp(-alpha * abs(r - RA)^2) |This equation is a 1s primitive Gaussian

I have to multiply two 1s primitive Gaussians to get a 1s contracted Gaussian

g1stilde(r - RA) * g1stilde(r - RB) = Ktilde * g1stilde(r - RP) |The formalism is understandable

Ktilde = exp[-alpha * beta / (alpha + beta) * abs(RA - RB)^2]

RP = (alpha * RA + beta * RB) / (alpha + beta)

p = alpha + beta

I've tried to solve the equation g1stilde(r - RA) * g1stilde(r - RB) = Ktilde * g1stilde(r - RP) with the substitution g1stilde(r - RA) = exp(-alpha * abs(r - RA)^2), but all I get is:

exp(-(alpha + beta) * (alpha * abs(r^2 - 2 * r * RA * RA^2) + beta * abs(r^2 - 2 * r * RB * RB^2)) / (alpha + beta))

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
= Ktilde * exp(-alpha * beta / (alpha + beta) * abs(RA - RB)^2)I'm stuck here, I don't know how to proceed from here on.

= Ktilde * exp(-p * abs(r^2 - 2 * r * RP * RP^2))

I'm not sure if this substitution is correct and how to proceed from here. I would appreciate any guidance or advice on how to solve this problem. Thank you.

Dear Szabo and Ostlund,

Thank you for providing such a challenging exercise. I have attempted to solve it, but I am struggling with the use of the overlap integral in Appendix A. Can you please provide some guidance on how to approach this problem? Specifically, I am unsure of how to contract two 1s primitive Gaussian functions to get a 1s contracted Gaussian function. I have tried using the substitution method, but I am not getting the desired result.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

What is "Szabo, A.; Ostlund, N. S. (1996). MODERN QUANTUM CHEMISTRY Exercise 3.21"?

"Szabo, A.; Ostlund, N. S. (1996). MODERN QUANTUM CHEMISTRY Exercise 3.21" is a textbook that covers the fundamentals of quantum chemistry and provides exercises for students to practice and apply their knowledge.

Who are the authors of "Szabo, A.; Ostlund, N. S. (1996). MODERN QUANTUM CHEMISTRY Exercise 3.21"?

The authors of "Szabo, A.; Ostlund, N. S. (1996). MODERN QUANTUM CHEMISTRY Exercise 3.21" are Attila Szabo and Neil S. Ostlund, both renowned scientists in the field of quantum chemistry.

What topics are covered in "Szabo, A.; Ostlund, N. S. (1996). MODERN QUANTUM CHEMISTRY Exercise 3.21"?

This textbook covers topics such as atomic and molecular structure, electronic structure calculations, and chemical bonding. It also includes exercises on these topics to help students apply their knowledge.

Is "Szabo, A.; Ostlund, N. S. (1996). MODERN QUANTUM CHEMISTRY Exercise 3.21" suitable for beginners in quantum chemistry?

While this textbook does cover some introductory topics, it is best suited for students who already have some basic knowledge of quantum chemistry. It may be more challenging for beginners.

Where can I find "Szabo, A.; Ostlund, N. S. (1996). MODERN QUANTUM CHEMISTRY Exercise 3.21"?

"Szabo, A.; Ostlund, N. S. (1996). MODERN QUANTUM CHEMISTRY Exercise 3.21" can be found in most major bookstores or online retailers. It may also be available in university libraries or through online databases.