What is the percentage of ammonia in the sample?

• Thread starter tag16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ammonia
In summary: Maybe check for typos?In summary, Ammoniacal nitrogen in a sample can be determined by treating it with chloroplatinic acid, resulting in the formation of slightly soluble ammonium chloroplatinate. Upon ignition, the precipitate decomposes into metallic platinum and gaseous products. To calculate the percentage of ammonia in a sample, the mass of platinum produced should be divided by the molar mass of ammonia and multiplied by 100. However, in this case, the answer of 41.5% is incorrect and the correct answer of 38.74% can be obtained by using the correct molar mass of ammonia, which is 17.
tag16

Homework Statement

Ammoniacal nitrogen can be determined by treatment of the sample with chloroplatinic acid; the product is slightly soluble ammonium chloroplatinate: H2PtCl6 + 2NH4 --> (NH4)2PtCl6 + 2H

The precipitate decomposes on ignition, yielding metallic platinum and gaseous products:
(NH4)2PtCl6 --> Pt(s) + 2Cl2(g) + 2NH3(g) + 2HCl(g)

Calculate the percentage of ammonia in a sample if 0.2115g gave rise to 0.4693g of platinum.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0.4693(1/(14+1+1+1))= 0.0276
0.0276(2)(159)= 8.778
8.778/0.2115= 41.5%

did I do this right? The back of my chemistry book says that the answer should be 38.74% NH3, so if this is correct how would you arrive at this answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you use NH4 or NH3 as ammonia is NH3. Might be a mistake there as for Molecular mass 17 the result is the one in the book.

tag16 said:
0.4693(1/(14+1+1+1))= 0.0276
0.0276(2)(159)= 8.778
8.778/0.2115= 41.5%

Please elaborate, I have no idea what you did. You started dividing mass of platinum by the molar mass of ammonia, next you multiplied the result by 2 (stoichiometric coeffcient) and by molar mass of platinum (with digits reversed to make it harder to guess what you did). From what I understand at this stage your result is in rather unexpected units:

[tex]\frac {(g_{Pt})^2 (mol_{NH_3})^2} {g_{NH_3} (mol_{Pt})^2}[/tex]

I doubt that's what you wanted to do, from the last operation seems like you think at this stage you have mass of ammonia multiplied by 100.

Book answer is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lok said:
Did you use NH4 or NH3 as ammonia is NH3. Might be a mistake there as for Molecular mass 17 the result is the one in the book.

Btw. With 18 I get the same wrong result as you. The things you wrote here make sense but weird that you don't get the result.

What is the percentage of ammonia in the sample?

The percentage of ammonia in a sample is the amount of ammonia present in that sample, expressed as a percentage of the total sample weight or volume.

How is the percentage of ammonia determined in a sample?

The percentage of ammonia in a sample is typically determined using a method called titration, where a known amount of a solution is added to the sample until a color change is observed.

Why is knowing the percentage of ammonia in a sample important?

Knowing the percentage of ammonia in a sample is important for various reasons, such as determining the purity of a substance, assessing the effectiveness of a chemical reaction, and ensuring safety in industrial processes.

What factors can affect the accuracy of percentage of ammonia measurements?

The accuracy of percentage of ammonia measurements can be affected by factors such as sample contamination, incorrect calibration of equipment, and human error during the testing process.

What is the typical percentage of ammonia found in household cleaning products?

The percentage of ammonia in household cleaning products can vary, but it is typically between 5-10%. However, some products may contain higher concentrations of ammonia for more heavy-duty cleaning purposes.