How Do You Calculate the Required Thickness of Aluminum for a Box?

In summary, the individual is trying to determine the required material thickness (gauge) for a box that can hold an amplifier weighing 350 grams. The material being used is aluminum, and the individual is looking for a formula to prove that a thickness of 1.6mm or 16 gauge is suitable. They have attempted to use the equations M=I/σ and M=bd/12, but are unsure of how to apply them in this situation.
SP_RED

Homework Statement

i am trying to work out the required material thickness for a given box.
the material i am using is aluminium.
i only require the formula - can't find a suitable one on web

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

M = I
σ y

M = bd M = bd2
σ 12/2 σ 6

Physics news on Phys.org
SP_RED said:

Homework Statement

i am trying to work out the required material thickness for a given box.
the material i am using is aluminium.

Homework Equations

M = I
σ y

M = bd M = bd2
σ 12/2 σ 6

Welcome to the PF. Required thickness for what?

SP_RED said:

Homework Statement

i am trying to work out the required material thickness (gauge) for a box i am making which is designed to hold an amplifier weighing 350grams.

the material i am using for the boxes is aluminium.

i know that 1.6mm or 16 gauge is more the suitable but i am just trying to prove it through the appliance of science/maths.

Homework Equations

M = I
σ y

M = bd M = bd2
σ 12/2 σ 6

1. What is material thickness required?

Material thickness required refers to the minimum thickness of a material needed to ensure its structural integrity and ability to withstand external forces and stress.

2. How is material thickness required determined?

The determination of material thickness required is based on various factors such as the type of material, its intended use, and the expected load or stress it will be subjected to. Testing and calculations are often used to determine the appropriate thickness for a specific material in a given application.

3. Why is material thickness required important?

Material thickness required is important because it directly affects the strength and durability of a material. Using a material with inadequate thickness can result in structural failure and compromise the safety and functionality of a product or structure.

4. How does material thickness required impact cost?

The required material thickness can impact the cost of a project or product as thicker materials tend to be more expensive. However, using the appropriate thickness is crucial to ensure the longevity and effectiveness of the material, which can ultimately save costs in the long run.

5. Can material thickness required vary for different applications?

Yes, the required material thickness may vary for different applications depending on the specific requirements and load conditions. For example, a material used in a high-stress environment may require a thicker thickness compared to the same material used in a low-stress environment.