Cradle to Cradle Ideas = Feasible Career Path

In summary, Miss Fangula is a fourth year college student majoring in physics but is not happy with it as she misses creating things. She is interested in pursuing a Cradle to Cradle path in her career and is considering materials science or software development as options. She is also open to getting a master's in engineering. She is seeking advice on how to transition from physics to engineering and whether it would be worth taking classes in it now.
missfangula
Hi All,

How do I begin with this long and complicated story? I am a forth year college student majoring in physics. I began college as an architecture student, made some life-altering realizations during first year that it is not truly progress at all, just a rehashing of shapes/art school, was very dissatisfied and wanted to make something truly innovative that worked well following a technical background.

Ended up in physics because engineering did not seem to cover the basics thoroughly enough for me. Along the way, I read Cradle to Cradle by Michael Braungart and William McDonough. I fell in love with the concept; actually, I had developed my own design philosophy before I came across this wonderful book, and it pretty much matched theirs.

I am not happy with physics. It is fascinating, sure, but I feel a certain emptiness brought on by not producing anything anymore. I miss creating things. I miss having an idea in my head and seeing it grow to fruition by executing it.

It it too late in my program to switch majors again. So I will most likely graduate with a bachelor's degree in physics. I have room for a minor, though, if that means anything, or maybe nothing at all, just take it easy.

I would really like to follow a Cradle to Cradle path in my career, and design products, manufacturing processes, buildings, anything in that manner. I was thinking about materials science, but I am not really sure where to begin or what options are even available to me with a physics undergraduate degree.

I think in all reality I am the engineering type who never took the time to explore that side of me, and is not regretting it. I am also the creative type, and miss that very much.

What do you recommend I do?

Thank for any advice,
-miss fangula

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try getting a master's in engineering?

I'm surprised you haven't gotten into software development.

Why would I want to go into software development?
How would the transition from physics to engineering work? Should I start taking a couple of classes in it now, or is that just a waste of time and money?

Thanks

Hi Miss Fangula,

I haven't read Cradle to Cradle, but from your post I got the idea that you are a person who likes to design and build things and see them all the way into production. In software development, you have the opportunity to design, build, test, and deploy. I just thought that might be something that you would find very satisfying. I know that I have enjoyed developing the (small) systems I have created, and seeing people use them, and knowing that I have made their jobs easier.

I think you would enjoy a programming class if you ever have the time to take one. It's a good thing to learn, no matter what you choose for future studies or a profession.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "Cradle to Cradle"?

The concept of "Cradle to Cradle" is a design framework that aims to create products and systems that are regenerative and sustainable. This means that materials used in the products can be safely and endlessly reused in either biological or technical cycles, without producing waste or harming the environment.

2. How does the "Cradle to Cradle" design approach differ from traditional design methods?

Traditional design methods often focus on minimizing negative impacts, such as reducing waste and emissions. However, "Cradle to Cradle" takes a more holistic approach by considering the entire life cycle of a product, from production to disposal, and aims to create positive impacts for both the environment and society.

3. How can "Cradle to Cradle" ideas be applied in a career path?

There are many career paths that can benefit from incorporating "Cradle to Cradle" ideas, such as sustainable product design, green building and architecture, renewable energy, waste management, and environmental consulting. By understanding and implementing this framework, professionals can help create a more sustainable future.

4. What skills and knowledge are needed to pursue a career in "Cradle to Cradle"?

Professionals in this field should have a strong understanding of sustainability, environmental science, and circular economy principles. They should also have knowledge of design and engineering, as well as excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Additionally, communication and collaboration skills are essential for working in multidisciplinary teams.

5. What are the potential benefits of a career in "Cradle to Cradle"?

A career in "Cradle to Cradle" can offer a sense of purpose and fulfillment, as it allows individuals to work towards creating a more sustainable world. It also offers opportunities for innovation and creativity, as the framework encourages thinking outside of traditional design constraints. Additionally, this field is growing and offers potential for career advancement and job stability.