Why is my keyboard inactive when installing Linux Red Hat 7?

In summary, the problem seems to be that the USB support in Fedora is not up to par with newer distributions, and a reboot or re-install may be necessary to fix it.
Hbaw
I have problem when installing Linux Red hat 7, my keyboard becomes inactive/dead. I tried changing to another keyboard, I've got the same problem. What is the reason ?
Thanks in advance
Howard

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Hbaw said:
I have problem when installing Linux Red hat 7, my keyboard becomes inactive/dead. I tried changing to another keyboard, I've got the same problem. What is the reason ?
Thanks in advance
Howard

I'm guessing that you've got a USB keyboard, and that Linux isn't recognizing it. Regardless, you should look at the Fedora support stuff (Google for it) or at Red Hat for support, they'll be able to give you more specific help.

Red Hat Linux 7 is a *very* old distribution of Red Hat. If I recall correcty, v7 uses a 2.2.x series kernel (in fact, I believe USB support could only be added via a kernel patch while 2.3.x was maturing). In the 2.2.x days, USB support was very primitive. You'd be better using Fedora, for instance, where USB support has since matured.

Last edited:
graphic7 said:
Red Hat Linux 7 is a *very* old distribution of Red Hat. If I recall correcty, v7 uses a 2.2.x series kernel (in fact, I believe USB support could only be added via a kernel patch while 2.3.x was maturing). In the 2.2.x days, USB support was very primitive. You'd be better using Fedora, for instance, where USB support has since matured.
Thank you NateGT and graphic7, that's the only version my friend lent me. he is so selfish, I intend to download but don't know where to do that, Red-hat asks downloaders to pay :redface:

http://www.linuxiso.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked out that site, they asked me to pay if I'd like to use redhat, do you know any other sites ?

Hbaw, where the heck are you looking?

linuxiso.org -> Fedora -> Fedora Core 3 Test(2.90)

CD 1: http://www.linuxiso.org/download.php/607/FC3-test1-i386-disc1.iso
CD 2: http://www.linuxiso.org/download.php/608/FC3-test1-i386-disc2.iso
CD 3: http://www.linuxiso.org/download.php/609/FC3-test1-i386-disc3.iso
CD 4: http://www.linuxiso.org/download.php/610/FC3-test1-i386-disc4.iso

If those links are too slow or they don't work, try the handful of mirrors associated with each cd. Just click on the cd-folder to see all the links.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would try a newer version of redhat.. (FC2 is very good, too)
They added a lot of ps2/aux supports for newer controllers..

greets
soeren

I've seen this problem last night.

I had the same issue, and quickly resolved it by checking a couple of places.
The linux software (fedora) doesn't seem to make the USB native connections.

Try going into your CMOS/BIOS as the system is booting up, and Look for something like "integrated peripherals" or "advanced settings", and look for enable legacy USB devices. Make sure its set to enabled.

Mine resolved instantly, yours may take a reboot, or re-install.:eek:

1. Why won't Linux 7.0 install on my computer?

There could be several reasons why Linux 7.0 is not installing on your computer. Some common issues include incompatible hardware, corrupted installation media, or incorrect installation steps. It is recommended to check the system requirements and make sure your computer meets them, as well as verify the integrity of the installation media and follow the installation instructions carefully.

2. How do I troubleshoot a Linux 7.0 installation problem?

If you are encountering issues during the Linux 7.0 installation, you can try troubleshooting by checking for error messages, researching common installation problems online, and making sure your computer meets the system requirements. You can also try installing from a different source or using a different installation method.

3. Can I upgrade from a previous version of Linux to 7.0?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from a previous version of Linux to 7.0. However, it is recommended to back up your important files before proceeding with the upgrade process. It is also important to note that some programs and settings may not be compatible with the new version and may need to be reconfigured.

4. Is there a specific order in which I need to install Linux 7.0 components?

Yes, it is recommended to follow the order specified in the installation instructions when installing Linux 7.0 components. This ensures that all necessary components are installed in the correct order and helps avoid any compatibility issues or errors.

5. What should I do if my computer freezes during the Linux 7.0 installation?

If your computer freezes during the Linux 7.0 installation, try restarting the installation process from the beginning. If the issue persists, it could be due to incompatible hardware or a corrupted installation media. You can also try troubleshooting the issue by checking for error messages and researching common installation problems online.