Construct compact set of R with countable limit points

In summary, a compact set of real numbers can be constructed with countably infinite limit points, such as the set A={0, 1/n + 1/m | n,m >=1 in N}. This set is closed and bounded, making it compact according to the theorem. Alternatively, it can also be proven by definition.
forget_f1
Construct a compact set of real numbers whose limit points form a
countable set.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't a single point be enough?

Note:
I may have forgotten the precise definition of "the limit point".
You might instead look at a convergent sequence in R; that is a compact set, with one limit point.

for example {(0, 1/n) : n=1,2,3,...} is compact but the only limit point is 0. Still I need countable limit points.

Note: A single point has no limit point, since
a limit point of a set A is a point p such that for any neighborhood of p
(ie Ball(p,r) , where p is the origin and r=radius can take any value >0)
there exists a q≠p where q belongs in B(p,r) and q belongs to A.

You can construct a set with one limit point. Now you can make one with two limit points, 3 limit points, indeed any number of limit points countable or otherwise.

forget_f1 said:
Note: A single point has no limit point, since
a limit point of a set A is a point p such that for any neighborhood of p
(ie Ball(p,r) , where p is the origin and r=radius can take any value >0)
there exists a q≠p where q belongs in B(p,r) and q belongs to A.
Yeah, I kind of remembered that a bit late...:redface:

Finite sets are countable.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Yeah, I kind of remembered that a bit late...:redface:

Finite sets are countable.

But the original post probably meant "countably infinite".

Taking A={0, 1/n + 1/m | n,m >=1 in N}. Thus the limit points are 1/n which are countable.
Since the set is closed and bouned then it is compact. (theorem)
Or
It can prove by definition that A is compact, which is what I did since I forgot to use the theorem above which would have made life easier :)

1. What is a compact set in mathematics?

A compact set in mathematics is a set that is closed and bounded. This means that the set contains all of its limit points and can be enclosed by a finite radius. In other words, a compact set is a set that is not "missing" any of its points and can be contained within a finite region.

2. What does it mean for a compact set to have countable limit points?

A compact set with countable limit points means that the set has a finite or infinite number of limit points, but can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This means that the set has a countable number of limit points.

3. How can a compact set of real numbers have countable limit points?

A compact set of real numbers can have countable limit points if it has a finite or infinite number of limit points that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This means that the set must have a finite or infinite number of limit points that can be counted using the natural numbers.

4. What is the importance of constructing a compact set with countable limit points?

Constructing a compact set with countable limit points is important in mathematics because it allows for a better understanding of the structure and properties of compact sets. Additionally, many important theorems and results in analysis and topology involve compact sets with countable limit points.

5. What are some examples of compact sets with countable limit points in the real numbers?

Some examples of compact sets with countable limit points in the real numbers include the set of natural numbers, the set of rational numbers, and the Cantor set. These sets have a finite or infinite number of limit points that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers.