Use the shell method to find the volume of the rotated region

In summary: You need to split the integral into two parts since the shell changes shape at x = 5. Just make sure you are using the correct limits of integration for each interval.
howsockgothap

Homework Statement

Use the shell method to find the area of the resulting shape when the region bounded by y=4x-x2 and y=0 is rotated about the line x=5.

Homework Equations

2π ∫ (shell radius)(shell height) dx (from x=a to b)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the region I am rotating, and I know that h=4x-x2

My problem comes when I try to define the limits of integration and the radius. I don't really understand how to incorporate that the region is being rotated around a line other than the y-axis

Physics news on Phys.org
howsockgothap said:

Homework Statement

Use the shell method to find the area of the resulting shape when the region bounded by y=4x-x2 and y=0 is rotated about the line x=5.

Homework Equations

2π ∫ (shell radius)(shell height) dx (from x=a to b)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the region I am rotating, and I know that h=4x-x2

My problem comes when I try to define the limits of integration and the radius. I don't really understand how to incorporate that the region is being rotated around a line other than the y-axis

Have you drawn a sketch of the cross-section of the solid you get? Part of the cross-section is above [0, 4]. What interval is the other part of the cross-section above?

What do you get for the volume of a typical shell?

the volume of a typical shell is 2pi*r*h... and the cross section of this shape extends from 0 to 4 and then from 6 to 10... I don't see how that really helps. The radius confuses me for this mostly because for every y value there's two x values, so it doesn't seem to make sense to set it up as 5-x=r

howsockgothap said:
the volume of a typical shell is 2pi*r*h...
That's the area of an unrolled shell, not the volume. Also your formula is very general and not specific to your problem.

For the function in your problem, what is r? what is h? And what is the thickness of a typical shell? You don't have that in your formula.

howsockgothap said:
and the cross section of this shape extends from 0 to 4 and then from 6 to 10... I don't see how that really helps. The radius confuses me for this mostly because for every y value there's two x values, so it doesn't seem to make sense to set it up as 5-x=r

I would use the interval [6, 10]. That way the radius is r = x - 5, which is a positive number. The cross-section view includes two intervals, but for your integration limits, you need to use only one of them. Each shell has a cross-section that is in [0, 4] and another that is in [6, 10], but it's still only one shell. Again, I would use the interval [6, 10] If you use the interval [0, 4], then r = 5 - x, which is positive for all values of x in [0, 4].

Oops, yes, my mistake, the area is 2pi*r*h*thickness... if I were using the interval from 0 to 4, I guess I would use 2pi∫(5-x)(4x-x2)dx whereas for the interval from 6 to 10 I would use 2pi∫(x-5)(4x-x2)dx... does that seem right?

Last edited:
Yes, both will work.

1. What is the shell method used for in mathematics?

The shell method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis.

2. How do you use the shell method to find the volume of a rotated region?

To use the shell method, you first need to determine the limits of integration, which are the boundaries of the region being rotated. Then, you need to set up an integral using the formula for the shell method, which involves multiplying the circumference of a shell by its height. Finally, you integrate the formula and solve for the volume.

3. What are the advantages of using the shell method over other volume calculation methods?

The shell method is often preferred over other methods, such as the disk method, because it can be used to find the volume of a region with a hole or a region that is not completely enclosed. It also involves simpler calculations and is more versatile in terms of the types of shapes it can be applied to.

4. Are there any limitations to using the shell method?

The shell method can only be used to find the volume of a region that is rotated around a horizontal or vertical axis. It also requires the region to have a known cross-sectional shape, such as a rectangle or a circle. Additionally, the region must be revolved around the same axis for the entire rotation.

5. Can the shell method be used to find the volume of any rotated region?

Yes, the shell method can be used to find the volume of any rotated region that meets the criteria mentioned above. However, in some cases, other methods may be more efficient or easier to use for certain shapes. It is always important to consider the specific characteristics of the region before choosing a volume calculation method.