Supply voltages to N and P type semiconductors

In summary, N-type semiconductor materials have been doped with elements that provide free electrons, while P-type materials have been doped with elements that create holes. This is why a positive voltage is needed for N-type and a negative voltage for P-type. This can be compared to the positive and negative poles of a magnet.
SMOF
Ok, maybe someone can point me in the right direction ...hopefully anyway.

I know this is probably a really stupid question, but as Mr Mackey in South Park said - "there are no stupid questions, just stupid people", so here it is.

I was in class simulating N and P type CMOS devices using OrCAD. When I had the N type going, we supplied a positive voltage to it (0->5V sweep) and for the P type, we connected a negative voltage (0 -> -5V).

So, simply, why is it a positive voltage for N type, and a negative voltage for P type.

A basic question I am sure, but one I don't fully understand.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, sorry if this is explained somewhere ...I took a qucik look through the Transistor sticky at the top, but some of the links wouldn't open on this PCs

Thanks again.

Seán

Engineering news on Phys.org
This can be a super in-depth question if one really wants to get into it. But this is a pretty good layman's answer:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080222020750AAXLSAn
So in lay-man terms...

N-type semiconductor materials have been doped with elements which have spare electrons in their outer shells. This gives N-type silicon free electrons (which are negatively charged particles) which can move about at will - with the potential to create current.

P-type semiconductor materials have been doped in the opposite way, with elements that have too few electrons in their outer shells. Therefore the opposite of electrons - holes - are free to move about within the material - with the potential to create current.

You can think of it like positive and negative poles of a magnet.

Actually, that's spot on!

Cheers.

Seán

What is the difference between the supply voltages for N-type and P-type semiconductors?

The supply voltages for N-type and P-type semiconductors are different because of their different doping mechanisms. N-type semiconductors have an excess of electrons and require a positive supply voltage, while P-type semiconductors have a deficit of electrons and require a negative supply voltage.

How do supply voltages affect the conductivity of semiconductors?

The supply voltage directly affects the conductivity of semiconductors by controlling the flow of electrons. Higher supply voltages can increase the conductivity of a semiconductor, while lower supply voltages can decrease conductivity.

What happens if the supply voltage to a semiconductor is too high?

If the supply voltage to a semiconductor is too high, it can cause the material to overheat and potentially lead to damage or failure. It can also cause an excessive flow of electrons, which can affect the performance and reliability of the semiconductor.

Can the supply voltage to a semiconductor be varied?

Yes, the supply voltage to a semiconductor can be varied in order to control its conductivity and performance. This is often done through external power sources, such as batteries or power supplies.

How do I determine the appropriate supply voltage for a specific semiconductor?

The appropriate supply voltage for a specific semiconductor depends on its material, doping, and intended use. It is typically determined through experimentation and testing to find the optimal voltage for the desired performance and functionality of the semiconductor.