Can Magnetic Collars Help with Introducing New Cats?

• Thread starter Blas
  • Start date
In summary, a person is seeking advice on how to help their older cat and new cat get along. They are considering magnetic collars as a possible solution, but are concerned about the weight and safety of the collars. They also mention that the older cat may not easily accept the new cat. However, it is advised to give them time to adjust and a forum thread is recommended with a product that had successful results in a similar situation.
Blas
I am a newbie and was wanting to solve a pet problem. We have a household that enjoyed the pleasure of having two cats for about 7 years or so. The older cat is about 14 and the younger cat was about 8. Recently the younger cat died and within a month, my wife surprised both the older cat and myself, with a one year old cat.
These two haven't been getting along from the start. I realize this may take more time (we are in our second full month of again having two cats), but I would like to not have them harm each other. Soooooooooo, I wondered if the possibility of 'magnetic collars' where even a concept worth trying to further consider.
As you can tell by now, I'm a featherweight in deep science (so please don't laugh me to pieces). I just would feel this safer and less cruel than a 'shock collar'. I'm under the belief that the sheer weight would be too much for these creatures to carry.
But I need someone's advice on the power of magnetics. Is this idea one for trying or one for the trash can?

Thanks,
Blas

Physics news on Phys.org
It won't work, and the cats would just end up getting stuck to the nearest metal fixture and end up hurting themselves. Plus as you said, such a collar would be too heavy for a cat.

Just give them time and they'll adjust.

The newcomer one-year-old cat is being ostracised and rejected by your original, long-time resident cat.
I have known cats that displayed clearly jealous behavior. Additionally, cats sometimes act selfishly and can be extremely territorial. I predict the older cat will not easily accept the newcomer.

Thank you both...once again proving science wins over emotion!

Blas

1. Can I create rejection in a laboratory setting?

Yes, rejection can be created in a laboratory setting by designing experiments or simulations that involve social interactions and rejection as an outcome. For example, researchers can use role-playing scenarios or virtual reality simulations to induce feelings of rejection in study participants.

2. Is rejection a purely social construct or does it have biological roots?

Rejection is a complex phenomenon that involves both social and biological factors. Studies have shown that rejection activates similar brain regions as physical pain, indicating that it has a biological basis. Additionally, social and cultural norms can also influence how rejection is perceived and experienced.

3. Can rejection be beneficial in any way?

While rejection is often viewed as a negative experience, it can also have positive effects. For example, experiencing rejection can lead to personal growth and resilience, as individuals learn to cope with disappointment and develop new strategies for approaching similar situations in the future.

4. Are there individual differences in how people respond to rejection?

Yes, individuals can have different responses to rejection based on their personality traits, past experiences, and coping mechanisms. Some people may become more motivated to prove themselves after experiencing rejection, while others may become discouraged and avoid similar situations in the future.

5. Can rejection be prevented?

While it is impossible to completely prevent rejection, individuals can take steps to reduce the likelihood of experiencing it. This can include building strong relationships, setting realistic expectations, and learning effective communication and conflict resolution skills.