First order differential equations.

In summary, the conversation is about rewriting equations with the term y'' as a system of first order differential equations and using the Euler's modified method to calculate the numerical solution. The equations provided contain the term y'' and the individual is seeking guidance on how to convert them into first order DEs. The solution involves introducing a new variable z(t) to represent y'(t) and solving for y(t) and z(t). It is also mentioned that the free variable is x, not t, so the functions y(x) and z(x) should be used instead.
bubokribuck
Hi, I have problems rewriting equations with the term y'' as a system of first order differential equations.

I've been given several equations and was told to write them as 1st order DEs, then calculate the numerical solution using the Euler's modified method.

I know that y'=f(x,y), so if [tex]y'=x+y , y(0)=1, h=0.1[/tex] I can apply the Euler's method:
[tex]y_1=y_0+hf(x_0,y_0)=1+0.1(0+1)=1+0.1=1.1[/tex]

But the following equations all contain the term y''.
[tex]y''-0.2(1-y^2)y'+y=0 , y(0)=0.1, y'(0)=0.1, calculate: y(0.2)[/tex]
[tex]-x^2y''-2xy'+2y=-4x^2 , y(1)=0, y'(1)=1, calculate: y(1.1)[/tex]
[tex]y''=2y'/x-2y/x^2-1/x^2 , y(1)=0, y'(1)=1, calculate: y(1.1)[/tex]
How am I supposed to turn them into first order DEs please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of writing y''=f(x,y), write z(t)=y'(t), so that y''(t)=z'(t), solve for y(t) and z(t).

Hi sunjin09, thanks for your reply, but there are two variables x and y involved though, how can I convert (x,y) into (t) please?

Oh right, your free variable is x, not t, so, you should work with the functions y(x) and z(x)=y'(x), not t.

What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is an equation that relates an unknown function to its derivative. It can be written in the form dy/dx = f(x) or y' = f(x), where y is the unknown function and f(x) is a function of x.

What is the solution to a first order differential equation?

The solution to a first order differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation. It can also be thought of as the curve or family of curves that satisfy the equation.

How do you solve a first order differential equation?

There are several methods for solving a first order differential equation, including separation of variables, integrating factor, and substitution. The method used depends on the specific equation and its characteristics.

What are some real-life applications of first order differential equations?

First order differential equations are commonly used to model and analyze phenomena in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Examples include population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits.

What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are typically used to model systems that change over time, while partial differential equations are used to model systems that vary over multiple dimensions.