Voice-activated camera shutter - public domain

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of equipping cameras with voice-activated functions, particularly a voice-activated shutter. The speakers mention the potential benefits for those with physical limitations, but also acknowledge the potential issues with ambient noise and the availability of cheaper alternatives such as a cable release. Overall, the concept is seen as a novelty item rather than a practical solution for photographers.
Loren Booda
Would resultant photographs/videos be improved by equipping (still) cameras with a voice-activated shutter or (still/video) cameras with other voice-activated functions? Mine would be, as I shake and jerk indelicate mechanical shutters. Cheese!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Not very difficult to do but ambiant noise may be a problem. A touchdown in a Super Bowl may shoot a whole roll of film. I have the same problem though, if there's a bunch of us perhaps camera makers should devise something better. There's a slew of things out for the handicapped, a puff switch comes to mind.

Regards

It would certainly solve the problem of people not knowing exactly when the picture was going to snap. If folks know that when you say "say cheese", the "s" sound at the end will trigger the shutter, then no one will be caught blinking.

I can see this getting sales on simple "point and shoot" analogue and digital cameras, but not really getting much further into the market. It would as Lurch said be really useful for group photos.

I can't see amateur or professional photographers paying money for voice activation when they could just go down to their local camera store and buy a good old fashioned cable release for 5-10 dollars.

I think until it could compete with the price of a cable release it would remain a novelty item. (One that I think is a GREAT novelty item :wink:).

1. What is a voice-activated camera shutter?

A voice-activated camera shutter is a type of technology that allows a camera to be triggered and take photos or videos using voice commands instead of manually pressing a physical button.

2. How does a voice-activated camera shutter work?

A voice-activated camera shutter works by using a microphone to detect voice commands and translating them into actions that trigger the camera's shutter button. It typically involves the use of voice recognition software and can be activated by specific keywords or phrases set by the user.

3. Is voice-activated camera shutter technology new?

No, voice-activated camera shutter technology has been around for several years but has become more advanced and widely available in recent years with the advancement of voice recognition software and smart devices.

4. Are there any advantages to using a voice-activated camera shutter?

Yes, there are several advantages to using a voice-activated camera shutter. It allows for hands-free operation, making it easier to take photos or videos in situations where manually pressing a button may be difficult or impossible. It also allows the user to be in the photo or video themselves, without needing to set a timer or ask someone else to take the photo.

5. Is the voice-activated camera shutter in the public domain?

It depends on the specific technology and its patents. Some voice-activated camera shutter technologies may be in the public domain, while others may be patented and require permission or licensing for use. It is important to research and understand the specific technology and its legal status before using it.