Electromagnetic induction problem

S?In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of current flowing through circuit ABCD when the center of the circuit is a distance r from a straight wire. Equations related to this scenario are mentioned, with a focus on dS and how it can be rewritten. The importance of v and B in this situation is also mentioned.
oportunity

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/55132039.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/55132039.png/

How much curret flows trough circuit ABCD when the center of the circuit (O) is distance r from the straight wire? I think these are the relevant equations:
∅=B.dS
E=-d∅ /dt
B= μoI/2∏r

But i have trouble with dS. i know that is has to be rewritten like e.g. ds= ydx=yvdt and that way eliminate dt
but in this case i don't know how to do it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, obviously v is associated with dψ/dt where ψ = ∫BdS (apperently you are using S for area.) (Sorry, the symbol table does not have a Greek letter for "phi", can't imagine how that fell thru the cracks).

You have the right formula for B(r), you know v = dr/dt, right? So how does ∫BdS change with time? S doesn't change with time, it's just the area of the square ... so it must be B that is changing ...

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by moving it through a magnetic field or by changing the magnetic field around it.

What is Faraday's law of induction?

Faraday's law of induction states that the induced electromotive force in a closed circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit.

What is Lenz's law?

Lenz's law is a consequence of Faraday's law and states that the direction of the induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change that produced it.

How is electromagnetic induction used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic induction is used in many everyday devices such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology for smartphones and electric toothbrushes.

What are some practical applications of electromagnetic induction in science and technology?

Electromagnetic induction is used in a variety of scientific and technological fields, including power generation, wireless communication, magnetic levitation, and induction heating. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI machines.