Finding Sin r from 1.52 and 20 Degrees

• Thread starter Novus Dakota
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees Sin
In summary, to find sin r given n1 = 1.52, sin i = 20 degrees, and n2 = 1.10, you can use the equation n1 sin i = n2 sin r. Simply plug in the values and solve for sin r. First, you can find the value of sin 20 by dividing 1.10 by 1.52. This gives you 0.723. Then, you can use your calculator to take the inverse sine of 0.723, which will give you the value of sin r in radians. To convert this to degrees, simply multiply by 180/pi. This will give you a value of approximately 28.2 degrees for sin r
Novus Dakota
so my given is 1.52 20degrees = 1.10 sin r

im trying to find sin r which comes out to 18.9 degrees but I am not sure how find that, can somebody help me out please?

so you do 1.10/1.52

do you divide that into sin 20?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand your notation...

Is that first part : 1.52 * 20 deg?

snells law is n1 sin i = n2 sin r

n1= 1.52
sin i = 20 deg

n2 = 1.10

sin r = ?

sin r actually equals 28.2 deg but i don't understand the process

Isn't this just simple algebra? What do you get when you solve for the unknown variable?

I got 27.6 as my answer...

[tex]\sin{x}[/tex] does not give you an answer in degrees.

[tex]n_1 \sin{\theta_1} = n_2 \sin{\theta_2} \Longrightarrow \theta_1 = \sin^{-1}\left( \frac{n_2}{n_1} \sin{\theta_2}\right)[/tex]

Isn't the question what is sin r? Not what is the angle...

Well, in that case he's in for a surprise if he wants it to "come out to [tex]18.9^\circ[/tex]"

but how do you do it

1.10/1.52 =.723

sin 20=.723

then I am stuck...

Look for the [tex] \sin^{-1}[/tex] button on your calculator. Apply it as in the equation I put above.

first calculate sin(20)
then multiply that by 1.52
then divide by 1.10
then take the arcsin/inverse sin of that number
make sure its in degrees and yorue done.

1. What is the formula for finding sin r from 1.52 and 20 degrees?

The formula for finding sin r from 1.52 and 20 degrees is sin(r) = opposite/hypotenuse. In this case, the opposite side is 1.52 and the hypotenuse is 1, so the equation becomes sin(r) = 1.52/1, which simplifies to sin(r) = 1.52.

2. How do I solve for r in this equation?

To solve for r, you can use the inverse sine or arcsine function. In this case, you would take the inverse sine of both sides of the equation, giving you r = sin^-1(1.52). Using a calculator, you can find that the angle r is approximately 57.04 degrees.

3. Can I use a different trigonometric function to find r?

Yes, you can also use the tangent function to find r. The equation would be tan(r) = opposite/adjacent. In this case, the adjacent side is 1 and the opposite side is 1.52, so the equation becomes tan(r) = 1.52/1, which simplifies to tan(r) = 1.52. Using a calculator, you can find that the angle r is approximately 56.31 degrees.

4. What if the given angle is in radians instead of degrees?

If the given angle is in radians, you can still use the same formulas to find sin r. However, make sure to convert the angle from radians to degrees before plugging it into the equation. To convert from radians to degrees, you can use the formula degrees = radians * (180/π).

5. How do I know if my answer is correct?

To check if your answer is correct, you can use a calculator or a trigonometric table to find the sine value of the angle you calculated. If the value matches the given value of 1.52, then your answer is correct. You can also use the Pythagorean theorem to check if your calculated values for the opposite and adjacent sides match the given value of 1.52 and 1 respectively.