Points on ellipse where tangent slope=1

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find points on an ellipse where the tangent line has a slope of 1. The solution involves finding the points of intersection between the ellipse and the line with slope -1, and using a diagram to determine which points are relevant. It is emphasized that drawing a diagram is crucial in solving this type of problem.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

Find the points on the ellipse x^2 + 2y^2 = 1 where the tangent line has slope 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct X and Y values but this gives me four possibilities and the answer key says there are two points.

I got x = +/- sqrt 2/3 and y = +/- sqrt 1/6
The values are correct but how am I supposed to know which coordinate to pare with which?

For an example, how do I know if it's (-sqrt 2/3, -sqrt 1/6) or (sqrt 2/3, -sqrt 1/6) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Feodalherren said:
I got x = +/- sqrt 2/3 and y = +/- sqrt 1/6
The values are correct but how am I supposed to know which coordinate to pare with which?

For an example, how do I know if it's (-sqrt 2/3, -sqrt 1/6) or (sqrt 2/3, -sqrt 1/6) ?

It helps to draw a diagram. If the slope is +1, aren't there only two possible tangents? In which quadrants do their points of intersection with the ellipse lie?

From [itex]x^2+ 2y^2= 1[/itex] you get 2x+ 2yy'= 0 so that y'=- x/y= 1. That gives y= -x and putting that into the equation of the ellipse, [itex]x^2+ 2x^2= 3x^2= 1[/itex] so that [itex]x= \pm\sqrt{3}/3[/itex].

That's what you got , right? And that gives four points on the ellipse?

But your condition is y= -x. Putting [itex]x= \sqrt{3}/3[/itex] and [itex]x= -\sqrt{3}/3[/itex] into that gives only two points.

(The other two points on the ellipse give slope -1.)

Oh, DUH! Thanks guys :D.

Sunil Simha said:
It helps to draw a diagram.
It's hard to overemphasize the importance of this advice. A halfway decent diagram can give you insight that you can't get just fiddling with equations.
Sunil Simha said:
If the slope is +1, aren't there only two possible tangents? In which quadrants do their points of intersection with the ellipse lie?

I actually did draw a diagram the first time I did it but I still got four points, it just didn't strike me to draw the tangent lines. If this question is on my test today (in 1.5hrs) I'll nail it. Thanks again.

Feodalherren said:
I actually did draw a diagram the first time I did it but I still got four points, it just didn't strike me to draw the tangent lines.
Try to draw a graph that represents the situation; namely, an ellipse with some points where the slope of the tangent line equals 1. If you got four points, your drawing wasn't an accurate representation of the question.

I realize that now. It became painfully obvious as soon as I read Mr Simha's answer.

What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a type of geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It has two focal points and all points on its boundary are equidistant from these two points.

What is a tangent?

A tangent is a line that touches a curve at only one point and is perpendicular to the curve at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

What does it mean for the tangent slope to equal 1?

When the tangent slope equals 1, it means that the slope of the tangent line is equal to 1. In other words, the line is inclined at a 45-degree angle to the horizontal axis.

How many points on an ellipse have a tangent slope equal to 1?

An ellipse has an infinite number of points, but only four points have a tangent slope equal to 1. These points are called the vertices of the ellipse and they are located at the intersection of the major and minor axes.

What is the significance of finding points on an ellipse where the tangent slope equals 1?

Finding points on an ellipse where the tangent slope equals 1 can help in understanding the shape and properties of the ellipse. It can also be useful in solving problems related to the ellipse in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.