Tell me who's crazy in this conversation.

In summary, hector seems to be acting crazy in this conversation by trying to control the way that he plays the guitar, and mocking hecto for not being able to change how he plays. permanentsp tries to help him by telling him that he should try to control his picking hand more, and that he should stop hitting open strings that aren't in the key he's soloing in. However, hector doesn't seem to be interested in what permanentsp has to say, and gets mad when permanentsp keeps critiquing him. Eventually, hector gets angry enough to tell permanentsp to "fuck off," and then terminates the conversation. Although permanentsp thinks that hecto is clearly out

Who in this conversation is crazy?

• Neither

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • hecto24

Votes: 24 66.7%
  • permanentsp

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • both

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters
wasteofo2
This is a conversation a friend and I had; I'm not going to say who is me and who's the friend, so as not to bias anyone, but could some of y'all do me a favor and tell me exactly who you think is acting crazy in this conversation? This is bit of conversation is totally unedited and uncut, so there's nothing slanting it one way or the other, just tell me who you thinks crazy.

Thanks

[22:37] hecto24: when i play guitar
[22:37] hecto24: do you think i need to calm down?
[22:37] permanentsp: that would help
[22:38] permanentsp: trying to control your picking hand especially, one of the main things I notice with you is that you hit strings you don't mean to frequently
[22:38] permanentsp: one of the main flaws*
[22:38] hecto24: not really in soloing
[22:38] hecto24: most of the time i mean to hit more than one string
[22:39] permanentsp: well yeah, there's nothing wrong with doing htat
[22:39] permanentsp: but sometimes you do hit strings that like you're not even fretting while soloing up in like E on the 12th fret
[22:39] hecto24: ok
[22:39] hecto24: well i can't really change the style i play
[22:40] hecto24: i mean if you don't like then that's that and don't play with me
[22:40] permanentsp: hahahhahahahahhaha
[22:40] hecto24: don't mock me
[22:40] permanentsp: alright
[22:41] hecto24: what else were you going to say>
[22:41] hecto24: ?
[22:41] hecto24: that was way to long to just be "alright"
[22:41] permanentsp: I was going to say
[22:41] permanentsp: hitting open strings that aren't in the key you're soloing in accidentally isn't really a style, more a flaw that can be fixed
[22:41] hecto24: well i wasnt speaking of that
[22:41] hecto24: i was speaking of the style in which i play
[22:42] hecto24: I am not stupid you sarcasrtic smug **** head
[22:42] permanentsp: you said
[22:42] permanentsp:
[22:39] hecto24: well i can't really change the style i play
[22:42] hecto24: yeah
[22:42] permanentsp: when did I even say you should change your style?
[22:42] hecto24: i just said
[22:42] hecto24: i can't change the way in whcih i play
[22:42] hecto24: when you said i should calm down
[22:43] permanentsp: i thought, since I had just talked about one aspect of your playing, that was what you were talking to
[22:43] hecto24: well don't think
[22:43] hecto24: that gets you into trouble
[22:43] permanentsp: you asked if I thought you needed to calm down!
[22:43] hecto24: yes
[22:43] hecto24: i did
[22:43] hecto24: just to see what you would say
[22:43] permanentsp: what the hell is the point of asking me that?
[22:43] hecto24: i don't really care about your opinion

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl: Both are crazy, but then who needs my opinion...

^ I agree :smile:

hecto24 is clearly out of line and antagonistic

I went with both. hecto24 seemed to ask a simple question, and got more of an answer than anticipated. Several times seemed to try to cut the topic off, but permanentsp kept critiquing, appearing to rub hecto24 the wrong way. hecto24 then got a bit weird about it and permanentsp appeared to get weird about hecto24 getting weird. There are parts that I can't tell if they are jokes or insults. This is why things like IM can be bad ways to communicate at times.

Just hilarious. The conversation got weird at the end..funny. I'd say hector acted crazy.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
...hecto24 then got a bit weird about it and permanentsp appeared to get weird about hecto24 getting weird...
:rofl: Thus we can at least deduce they are compatible?

I don't think hecto24 wanted to hear that he's a lousy guitar player. I think he was hoping to pass his lack of ability off as just an eccentric brand of creativity.

Sounds kind of like what happens when a guy gets asked that dreaded question, "Do these pants make me look fat?" (Actually, there is a tactful answer to that question: "I don't know. Take 'em off so I can compare.")

It's not too hard to deduce that you're permanentsp...

Anyway, hecto probably didn't entirely understand what you were trying to say, but I think you rubbed it in more than helped.

both are whack

id even go so far to say you two can't communicate in a clear, respectable manner

The last line is perfect:

hecto24 said:
i don't really care about your opinion

:rofl:

Okay, I admit that I sort of wasted my vote. I never had a chance to read the transcript until now. I just clicked 'both' because you're both musicians and I've never met a sane one yet.:biggrin:
In going over it, though, it appears that Hecto started the whole conversation just as an excuse to be a prick.

By the way, I know nothing about guitars. I am just now learning to play the radio.

Knavish said:
It's not too hard to deduce that you're permanentsp...

Wild guess: Wasteof2 is hector...

When are we going to find out which is wasteof2?

Maybe if you and Moonbear give him a big, fat kiss...

The_Professional said:
Maybe if you and Moonbear give him a big, fat kiss...
Hey Waste! Hold out for the cancer clinic...

Hmm, I thought it was quite clear that wasteof was the second person, permanentsp.

mattmns said:
Hmm, I thought it was quite clear that wasteof was the second person, permanentsp.
Nothing is quite clear to me any more. I'm going back to my original vote, and then some. Not only are they both nuts, but so is everyone participating in this... wait a sec... never mind...

haha ho ho he he hi hi !
tin tin tin who is goin nuts?

Hecto24 is too much lol, he was sane in the process to rock over while fighting, but definatly insane [crazy?] in the way of braking social norms

ummm...uhhh..no i am not crazy while saying this :biggrin:

Well, I'm permanentsp; the one voted crazy far less often than the other guy. Hurray for me...

wasteofo2 said:
Well, I'm permanentsp; the one voted crazy far less often than the other guy. Hurray for me...
Ha! I knew it :cool:

wasteofo2 said:
Well, I'm permanentsp

Yeah, that was pretty obvious. What did you cut out that led up to this conversation?

Here's a tip, the conversation should have ended here:

[22:37] hecto24: when i play guitar
[22:37] hecto24: do you think i need to calm down?
[22:37] permanentsp: that would help

That's all hecto24 asked for. That you continued from there insisting he was playing wrong notes was insulting. If he asked for an honest critique, you could have addressed it, but he probably already knows he's playing wrong notes, or else doesn't care.

Moonbear said:
Yeah, that was pretty obvious. What did you cut out that led up to this conversation?
He asked me if I had downloaded any Traffic songs yet, which he had reccomended that I do. I had, but didn't like them, and told him that. He then said that I was an idiot for not liking them, then said that he was kidding and respected my opinion. Then, right after saying that, he just asked the first question you see in the transcript.

wasteofo2 said:
He asked me if I had downloaded any Traffic songs yet, which he had reccomended that I do. I had, but didn't like them, and told him that. He then said that I was an idiot for not liking them, then said that he was kidding and respected my opinion. Then, right after saying that, he just asked the first question you see in the transcript.

Hmm...then I change my recommendation. You should have ended the conversation back when he called you an idiot for not liking Traffic. Granted, I do like Traffic, but everyone has their individual taste in music, so I wouldn't call anyone an idiot for not liking what I like. Good, it confirms my original vote...you were both crazy for having this conversation. :tongue:

I voted for Hecto24 being the crazy one. IMO, it is not rational to call bad playing a style. It is just bad technique. Hecto24 should take some lessons OR if his fingers are too big for the neck, maybe he should take up the bass or the ukelele, maybe a dulcimer.

wasteofo2 said:
I had, but didn't like them
You didn't like 'Low Spark of High-Heel Boys'?! That's it; you're off my buddy list... :biggrin:

wasteofo2 said:
He asked me if I had downloaded any Traffic songs yet, which he had reccomended that I do. I had, but didn't like them, and told him that.

That's it, I want to change my vote.

Tom Mattson said:
That's it, I want to change my vote.
Now I'm depressed. :frown: If I could get at my turntable, I'd put "Everything's Archie" on repeat mode.

Danger said:
Now I'm depressed. :frown: If I could get at my turntable, I'd put "Everything's Archie" on repeat mode.

A turntable on repeat mode? I think we used to call that a scratched record. :biggrin: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
A turntable on repeat mode? I think we used to call that a scratched record. :biggrin: :rofl:
C'mon; your memory can't be that bad. :rolleyes: Leave the auto-feed clamp up, and it recycles the tone arm.

Danger said:
C'mon; your memory can't be that bad. :rolleyes: Leave the auto-feed clamp up, and it recycles the tone arm.

Oh, you have a single, not an LP. Yeah, my memory is that bad though. I haven't had a turntable in ages. All my records are in the clutches of my parents too (I didn't consider it important to keep them in my possession since I didn't have a turntable anyway...though I've been learning my parents aren't very good guardians of my stuff). They've probably either sold them all at a garage sale or left them to melt in the heat of their garage by now. :frown: One of these days I need to drive to see them instead of flying so I can reclaim what's left of my stuff that moved with them to FL (I was only living in a tiny, 3 room apartment when they moved, so my stuff went with them).

Edit: Wait, is that an album or song title you're talking about? Traffic is from before my time, so I only have a CD of John Barleycorn Must Die (album). I like their music, just don't have titles memorized, and don't actually own any more of it than the one CD.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Oh, you have a single, not an LP.
No, it works the same way for albums.

Moonbear said:
All my records are in the clutches of my parents too
That's one thing I quite envied about the ex-from-hell. Her mother in England is storing for her, in perfect condition, every single ever released by the Beatles unplayed. :bugeye:

Rejjeye said:
I voted for Hecto24 being the crazy one. IMO, it is not rational to call bad playing a style. It is just bad technique. Hecto24 should take some lessons OR if his fingers are too big for the neck, maybe he should take up the bass or the ukelele, maybe a dulcimer.

His fingers definitely aren't too big for the neck, he's only about 5'5", and has regular sized hands. He's also been taking lessons, but it's with this burn-out guy I used to take lessons with who really doesn't try to correct you or make you better, just essentially jams with you for 45 minutes.

Danger said:
Now I'm depressed. :frown:

Don't be. We both like Traffic!

FYI, I voted that the other guy was crazy. I wanted to change my vote because once the conversation was put into context, I quickly realized that the Traffic-hater was the crazy one.

Now let's spread around some Medicated Goo. :approve: