Finding the Right Book for Chemical Processes

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling to find a textbook that has exercises that directly correspond to the paragraphs being read. One book that is recommended is Introductory Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by J. M. Smith and H. C. Van Ness which takes a different approach by introducing basic concepts first and then providing worked examples to help with problem-solving.
slider527
Book, Help !

Hey there ppl, I'm an undergraduate ChE and most of the time i have problems with books. My problem is that when i read a paragraph and want to continue it with making some excersises, i find it hard to figure out which excersises belong to the paragraph i just read...e.g. Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes... Does anyone know another book of the same standard as this book, but then like the pages are sequenced in such a way the i can read the paragraph and the next page are the excersises pertaining to the paragraph and then the next page starts a new paragraph and the next page are the excersises belonging to that paragraph and so on and so on?

ThnQ so much in advance :biggrin:

Engineering news on Phys.org
One book that I recommend to my students is Introductory Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by J. M. Smith and H. C. Van Ness. This book takes a slightly different approach than most textbooks in that it starts with the basics of thermodynamics, such as the definition of work, energy, enthalpy, heat capacity, and entropy, and then introduces the equations associated with each concept. After introducing the concepts, the next section of the book provides worked examples that use the equations to solve thermodynamic problems. This approach makes it easy to transition from reading the material to solving problems related to the material.

Hi there! I completely understand your struggle with finding the right book for chemical processes. It can be overwhelming to try and navigate through a textbook and figure out which exercises correspond to which paragraphs.

One book that I would recommend is "Introduction to Chemical Engineering: Tools for Today and Tomorrow" by Kenneth A. Solen and John N. Harb. This book is structured in a way that each chapter starts with a brief overview, followed by a section of relevant exercises, and then continues with the rest of the chapter. This makes it easier to connect the concepts with their corresponding exercises.

Another option could be "Chemical Process Principles" by Hougen and Watson. This book also follows a similar structure, with exercises placed after each section.

I hope these suggestions help you in finding the right book for your studies. Best of luck!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a book on chemical processes?

When selecting a book on chemical processes, it is important to consider the level of detail and depth you need for your specific purposes. You should also assess the author's qualifications and the credibility of the publisher. Additionally, check the publication date to ensure that the information is up-to-date and relevant to current practices.

2. Are there any recommended books for beginners in chemical processes?

Yes, there are several books that are highly recommended for beginners in chemical processes. Some popular options include "Chemical Process Principles" by Hougen and Watson, "Fundamentals of Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics" by Moran and Shapiro, and "Chemical Engineering Design" by Sinnott and Towler. These books cover the basic principles and provide a solid foundation for further study.

3. Are there any books that focus specifically on industrial chemical processes?

Yes, there are many books that focus on industrial chemical processes. Some highly recommended titles include "Chemical Process Safety" by Crowl and Louvar, "Chemical Process Equipment Design" by Turton et al., and "Chemical Engineering Design and Analysis" by Duncan and Reimer. These books delve into the practical aspects of chemical processes in an industrial setting.

4. Can I find books on specific types of chemical processes, such as petrochemical or pharmaceutical?

Yes, there are books that focus on specific types of chemical processes, such as petrochemical or pharmaceutical. Some examples include "Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook" by Green et al. for petrochemical processes and "Introduction to Pharmaceutical Chemical Analysis" by Ermer and Miller for pharmaceutical processes. It is important to carefully consider your specific needs and research the options available to find the best fit for your interests.

5. Are there any online resources or databases that can help me find the right book for chemical processes?

Yes, there are several online resources and databases that can assist you in finding the right book for chemical processes. Some popular options include Google Scholar, Wiley Online Library, and ScienceDirect. These platforms allow you to search for specific topics or keywords and filter results by publication date, author, and more. Additionally, you can read reviews and compare multiple books to make an informed decision.