Embracing Stupidity: Exploring the Value of Asking 'Dumb' Questions

• Thread starter Algr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the conversation is about the nature of stupid questions and how they are defined. Some people believe that a stupid question is one that is asked solely for the purpose of making the questioner look smarter or to embarrass the person being asked. Others argue that it is important to ask questions, even if you already know the answer, in order to gain a better understanding. The conversation also includes some humorous examples of stupid questions and answers.
Algr
Someone please ask a stupid question. I'm jealous of the people who can answer the smart ones.

Physics news on Phys.org
1+1 =...?

Is this the No 10 bus?

If you start with two rams, and you subtract three apples, where is my 13mm socket?

Likes Beelzebub
WWGD said:
1+1 =...?

Eleben!

256bits said:
Is this the No 10 bus?

No, it my 'puter. And your 13th wrench is bad luck, forgeaboutit.

To me a stupid question is synonamous with a lazy one - i.e. one you should/could have answered yourself. The other side to that coin is that some might say you should never ask a question you don't already know the answer to.

Likes 1 person
dipole said:
The other side to that coin is that some might say you should never ask a question you don't already know the answer to.
I've only heard that said of Lawyers at trial. They can't have their strategy derailed by an answer they weren't expecting.

"What is the sound of two hands clapping?"

Where is "ask a stupid question get a stupid answer" thread?:tongue2:

Why is it closed?

It probably was accidentally closed, that was a good thread, I re-opened it.

Lisa! said:
Where is "ask a stupid question get a stupid answer" thread?:tongue2:

mal4mac said:
Why is it closed?

I actually thought these were the stupid questions.

Please define a stupid question?

What is love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZ_fsG5uMg

dipole said:
To me a stupid question is synonamous with a lazy one - i.e. one you should/could have answered yourself. The other side to that coin is that some might say you should never ask a question you don't already know the answer to.

I'd rather say that you shouldn't ask a question that you don't WANT an answer to.

Is this the philosophy class?

Will this be on the test?

Likes 1 person
What happened before the beginning of time?

A "stupid question" is one that is asked solely to aggrandize the questionor or to humiliate the questionee.

Likes 1 person
"What are my initials?"

When giving data delivery times to our customers, we exchange initials so if someone gets the times wrong, we know who to blame. Being a trainee overloaded with new knowledge, the poor guy forgot his own name... or was so overloaded with new knowledge he reached a point where he couldn't understand what the person on the phone was asking for. Funny thing is - we told him and he still didn't catch on. "Wow, those are the same as my initials."

Dumb answer:

We asked a new trainee to make us double sided copies. Her answer to our request: Mission accomplished. Page 1 on one piece of paper, both front and back. Page 2 on one piece of paper both front and back. And so on.

It took her a long time and she said it was really hard to do that. There's not a button on the copier that just copies the same page to both sides of the paper. You manually have to copy each page twice... and we had quite a few pages to be copied.

jim hardy said:
A "stupid question" is one that is asked solely to aggrandize the questionor or to humiliate the questionee.

So basically all of politics.

Algr said:
So basically all of politics.
and a lot of TV interviews .

Bandersnatch said:
What happened before the beginning of time?

Sunrise was usually late.

Who am I?

Beelzebub said:
Who am I?
The guy in the mirror.

Hmmm I thought I was a woman but maybe you know better!

So... not the demon king, then?

944531_1352191223843_500_264.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beelzebub_(manga)

Likes Medicol
Oh but the woman is the demon king!

1. What is the concept of "embracing stupidity?"

The concept of "embracing stupidity" refers to the idea that asking seemingly simple or "dumb" questions can actually lead to valuable insights and new perspectives. It encourages individuals to not be afraid of asking questions, even if they may seem silly or obvious.

2. How can embracing stupidity be beneficial in a scientific setting?

In a scientific setting, embracing stupidity can be beneficial because it allows for critical thinking and questioning of assumptions. By asking "dumb" questions, scientists can challenge established ideas and potentially discover new information or solutions.

3. Is there a difference between asking "dumb" questions and asking questions for the sake of being difficult?

Yes, there is a difference. Asking "dumb" questions is about genuinely seeking knowledge and understanding, while asking questions for the sake of being difficult is often done to challenge or undermine others. Embracing stupidity is about being open to learning, not trying to prove a point.

4. How can embracing stupidity lead to innovation?

Embracing stupidity can lead to innovation by encouraging individuals to think outside the box and question the status quo. By asking "dumb" questions, new ideas and approaches can be explored, potentially leading to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to embracing stupidity?

While embracing stupidity can be beneficial, there is a risk of asking too many "dumb" questions and becoming a nuisance. It is important to strike a balance and know when it is appropriate to ask questions and when to listen and observe. Additionally, some may view asking "dumb" questions as a sign of incompetence, so it is important to communicate the intention behind the questions clearly.