Does this equation already exist?

• Thread starter newbie7.07
  • Start date
In summary, this is a conversation about the formula for finding the area of a regular polygon with sides of equal length. The formula involves using the number of sides and the side length, as well as the radius or apothem. The concept of discovering equations in mathematics is also discussed, with one person referencing a page in a math table and another mentioning the idea of discovering a theorem. The conversation ends with a request for an explanation of why two trigonometric functions are equal, with the suggestion to apply Simpson's formulas.
newbie7.07
This is a formula to find the area of a regular polygon with sides of equal length only using the side length.

(ns2cot(180/n))/4

Where n is equal to the number of sides and s is the side length.

Also, knowing radius (r) or apothem (a)

(na2tan(180/n))/4

(nr2sin(180/n)cos(180/n))/4

Has someone found this before?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, I find it on page 122 of my copy of CRC Standard Math tables. (27th ed)

No offense, but that's not really an equation you can "discover." It's just a calculation.

Manchot said:
No offense, but that's not really an equation you can "discover." It's just a calculation.

In mathematics there is no such thing as discovery.

Ah.. I see you folks have never read Plato. Or won't admit to it anyway.

Werg22 said:
In mathematics there is no such thing as discovery.
Yes, there is. Just because a certain theorem happens to be true whether it's been found or not, it doesn't mean that it can't be discovered. "Discover" in this case simply means that you are the first human being to stumble upon it.

Ok, then can anyone who's read something about this explain why cot(180/n)=tan(90(n-2)/n)?

newbie7.07 said:
Ok, then can anyone who's read something about this explain why cot(180/n)=tan(90(n-2)/n)?

Just apply Simpson's formulas.

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the equality between two or more quantities. It typically contains variables, constants, and mathematical operations, and can be used to solve for unknown values.

2. How do I know if an equation already exists?

To determine if an equation already exists, you can search for it in databases, scientific literature, or online resources. You can also consult with experts in the field or use specialized software to check for similar equations.

3. Why is it important to check if an equation already exists?

It is important to check if an equation already exists because it can save time and effort in developing new equations. It also ensures that the equation being used is accurate and has been validated by previous research.

4. Can I modify an existing equation to fit my research?

Yes, you can modify an existing equation to fit your research. However, it is important to properly cite the original source and clearly state any modifications made to the equation. This ensures that credit is given to the original creator and the modified equation is used accurately.

5. What if I cannot find an existing equation for my research?

If you cannot find an existing equation for your research, you may need to develop a new one. This can involve conducting experiments, analyzing data, and consulting with experts in the field. It is important to thoroughly test and validate the new equation before using it in research.