Variation of the quadratic formula?

In summary, the conversation discusses an alternate way of writing the quadratic formula and how to derive one form from the other. It involves setting the two different forms equal to each other and simplifying, or multiplying by 1 in a smart manner using the conjugate of the numerator. The alternate version is useful in avoiding loss of significant digits. The concept of "rationalizing" and "backwards" is also briefly mentioned.
toltol123
http://www.mste.uiuc.edu/users/exner/ncsa/quad/

There's another way of writing the quadratic formula...but how do I derive the 2nd formula using the 1st one? I've tried for hours and I can't get it. I would really appreciate any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint:
[tex](-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac})(-b-\sqrt{b^2-4ac})=4ac[/tex]
Take the two different forms, set them equal to each other and simplify. But you have to know that the lower sign of the plus/minus in the one form corresponds to the upper sign in the other form.

Alternatively, multiply with 1 in a smart manner:
[tex]\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}*1=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}*\frac{-b\mp\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{-b\mp\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}=\frac{b^{2}-(b^{2}-4ac)}{2a(-b\mp\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac})}=\frac{2c}{-b\mp\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}[/tex]

The alternate version is often used if the numerator in the standard version becomes a difference between almost equal numbers.
I.e, we may avoid loss of significant digits by using the alternate version.

Last edited:
oh, so in a way I'm rationalizing the equation and just multiplying by the conjugate? except it's backwards, because the radical is moved to the bottom.

toltol123 said:
oh, so in a way I'm rationalizing the equation and just multiplying by the conjugate? except it's backwards, because the radical is moved to the bottom.
Yes, you multiply with 1 in the form of the conjugate of the numerator.
Thus, the root expression vanishes from the numerator but reappears in the denominator.
I'm not too sure about what you mean by "rationalizing" and "backwards", though..

1. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical equation used to solve quadratic equations, which are equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a.

2. Why is there a ± in the quadratic formula?

The ± symbol in the quadratic formula represents the two possible solutions to a quadratic equation. Since a quadratic equation can have two solutions, the ± allows for both solutions to be included in the formula.

3. How is the quadratic formula derived?

The quadratic formula is derived using the process of completing the square, which involves manipulating a quadratic equation to create a perfect square trinomial. This trinomial can then be solved to find the roots, or solutions, of the equation, resulting in the quadratic formula.

4. What is the importance of the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is important because it provides a universal method for solving quadratic equations. This can be useful in many fields, such as physics and engineering, where quadratic equations are commonly used to model real-world situations.

5. Can the quadratic formula be used for all quadratic equations?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used for all quadratic equations, regardless of the values of a, b, and c. However, in some cases, the solutions may be complex numbers rather than real numbers.