Question about nuclear engineering programs

In summary, an undergraduate student is interested in nuclear engineering research involving breeder reactors and is considering different universities. Universities that offer this kind of research are U of Michigan, U of Idaho, and Ohio State. However, because of the current social climate, breeder reactors are difficult to sell.
zheng89120
So, I'm an undergraduate student at an university without a nuclear engineering program, and a prospective graduate student. I am interested in research in nuclear engineering having to do with breeder reactors.

I was wondering, when I am looking at nuclear engineering programs offered by a certain universities in north america (such as Purdue Nuclear Engineering), which universities would offer this kind of graduate research opportunity (with breeder reactors).

I am particularly interested in this kind of thing, because it feels like breeder reactors could be one of the key alternative energy sources for the world, before fusion gets commercialized (and is perhaps more in demand than fusion research). Thanks for reading.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I went to Ohio State, and although there weren't any professors at the time that were chiefly interested in breeder reactors, several had it as a side interest (I believe Dr. Aldemir for one).

As a former nuclear engineer, I hate to throw a wet blanket on your plans, but are you sure this is the right way to go? While technically I think you are right about the promise of breeder technology, our society is not showing much inclination to go in this direction. Between the fear of nuclear proliferation and the fear of nuclear waste, a breeder reactor is almost impossible to sell today. It sounds like you are in the US - the last breeder reactor built in the US was in the 1960s. Even France, which is the most pro-nuclear country in the western world, has no breeders running today (I think). India and China are currently pursuing breeders, so if you're prepared to move to Asia maybe this is a reasonable career plan.

phyzguy said:
As a former nuclear engineer, I hate to throw a wet blanket on your plans, but are you sure this is the right way to go? While technically I think you are right about the promise of breeder technology, our society is not showing much inclination to go in this direction. Between the fear of nuclear proliferation and the fear of nuclear waste, a breeder reactor is almost impossible to sell today. It sounds like you are in the US - the last breeder reactor built in the US was in the 1960s. Even France, which is the most pro-nuclear country in the western world, has no breeders running today (I think). India and China are currently pursuing breeders, so if you're prepared to move to Asia maybe this is a reasonable career plan.
GEH has proposed their PRISM reactor as a possible candidate for modular reactors.
http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/advanced/prism.html

Realize that nuclear companies (even those in the US) are looking globally for opportunities, so even if one works in the US, it would be possible to be working on projects in other countries.

As for university programs, probably U. Michigan would be a candiate. The particular program would depend on what aspect of fast reactors, e.g., nuclear reactor physics, fuel behavior, structural materials behavior, thermal hydraulic, . . . . is of interest. Then one can pick a program based on the strength of the research and faculty experience.

See this at U of Idaho - http://www.if.uidaho.edu/~gunner/ME443-543/LectureNotes/LMFBR.pdf

Last edited:
If you know a specific design you are interested in, search for which University the people publishing on the design are from.

1. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a field of engineering that focuses on the application of nuclear energy and radiation. It involves the design, development, and operation of nuclear reactors, as well as the use of nuclear materials in various industries such as power generation, medicine, and research.

2. What are the educational requirements for a nuclear engineering program?

Most nuclear engineering programs require a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, such as physics or mathematics. Some programs may also require coursework in nuclear physics, chemistry, and other related subjects.

3. Is there a demand for nuclear engineers?

Yes, there is a growing demand for nuclear engineers in various industries, especially in the energy sector. As the world continues to rely on nuclear power for electricity generation, the need for skilled nuclear engineers will continue to increase.

4. What skills are necessary for a career in nuclear engineering?

Some important skills for a career in nuclear engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and a solid understanding of mathematics and physics. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in project-based environments.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of nuclear engineering?

Yes, many nuclear engineering programs offer opportunities for students to specialize in a specific area, such as nuclear power plant design, nuclear materials, or nuclear waste management. It is important to research the specific programs and their areas of focus before applying.