Comparing Momentum of Two Carts with Different Masses

In summary, The question is about which cart, A or B, has greater momentum after being pushed with equal forces for a distance of 1m. The initial thinking was that Cart A would have a higher velocity, but the larger mass of Cart B would make up for it. However, the force applied and the work done remain the same for both carts, allowing for the comparison of momentum using Newton's 2nd law and kinematics. Another way to determine the velocity and momentum of each cart is by recognizing the relationship between force and distance.
einsteinette
Hello there, I am having difficulty with this question:

A 0.2 kg plastic cart (Cart a) and a 20 kg (Cart b) lead cart can both roll without friction on a horizontal surface. Equal forces are used to push the two carts forward for a distance of 1 m, starting from rest. Which cart has the greater momentum, after the full 1m?

So I was thinking that since you apply equal forces to push the two carts, Cart A would have a higher velocity. But when you do the momentum of the two carts together, the larger mass of cart B would make up for the difference of velocity. If I'm right about the velocity thing that is.

mava = 0.2Va(>vb)
mbvb = 20Vb(<va)

So the momentum would be somewhat equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
einsteinette said:
So I was thinking that since you apply equal forces to push the two carts, Cart A would have a higher velocity.
That's true, but you need to figure out how much higher is the velocity of Cart A. Hint: Since equal force is exerted for equal distance, what can you say is the same for the two carts after the push?

The force applied and the rate of deceleration?

einsteinette said:
The force applied and the rate of deceleration?
The force is the same but the accelerations are not. But you can use Newton's 2nd law and some kinematics to figure out the velocity of each cart after it is pushed. Then you can compare momentum.

But another way is to recognize what force*distance gives you, and use that to figure out the velocity and momentum.

Ahh so you mean work done is the same. I think I get it now. Thanks!

1. What is the plastic cart momentum problem?

The plastic cart momentum problem is a physics problem that involves a cart with a certain mass and velocity colliding with a stationary object. The objective of the problem is to determine the final velocity of the cart after the collision.

2. How do you solve the plastic cart momentum problem?

To solve the plastic cart momentum problem, you need to use the principle of conservation of momentum. This states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision. You also need to use the equation P = m * v, where P is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What information do you need to solve the plastic cart momentum problem?

To solve the plastic cart momentum problem, you need to know the mass and velocity of the cart before and after the collision, as well as the mass and initial velocity of the stationary object. You also need to know the type of collision (elastic or inelastic) and any other relevant information, such as the coefficient of restitution.

4. What are some common mistakes made when solving the plastic cart momentum problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the plastic cart momentum problem include not using the conservation of momentum principle, using the wrong equation for momentum, and not considering the type of collision. It is also important to pay attention to the directions of velocities, as they can affect the final answer.

5. What are some real-life applications of the plastic cart momentum problem?

The plastic cart momentum problem has many real-life applications, such as in car accidents, sports collisions, and industrial machinery collisions. It is also used in fields like engineering, physics, and materials science to analyze and design structures and systems that involve collisions or impacts.