I'm having a hard time understanding how to calculate tension. Help please?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help understanding how to calculate tension in a physics problem involving two blocks connected by a string. They have tried several different methods but are still getting the wrong answer and would appreciate some guidance. They also mention being new to studying physics and would like simple explanations. They are unable to post a diagram and are asked to describe the setup in more detail. The responder suggests identifying forces and drawing free body diagrams to find the x and y components of the forces.
RainbowMop
Now, I'm not going to ask anyone to do my assignments. I just want help understanding how to calculate tension so that I can complete my work by myself. I may give examples from my assignments, but I don't want anyone to just work it out and post answers - I want to understand.

I'm new to studying physics so I would appreciate simple explanations that I can understand(I'm in an intro course).

I've read that there isn't a formula for calculating tension and that tension is just a force. Right now I'm working with problems that involve a string under ideal conditions.

Ex. The diagram is displayed as a right triangle with theta in the lower left. Two blocks are connected by a string and tied to a wall. They look like this along the hypotenuse; []-[]-
The mass of both blocks and the value for theta are given. I need to (i)calculate the tension of the string connecting the two blocks, and (ii)the tension in the string tied to a wall.

I first tried to find the x and y components(as it is set up to look like a vector and we have been doing this a lot in class). For the magnitude I added the masses of the blocks, but I don't know if that is right. Then I used cos(theta)*magnitude for x-component, and sin(theta)*magnitude for y-component. Honestly, I'm not too sure if I even need to find the vector components.

I also know that F=m*a. The mass(for part (i)) would be the mass of both blocks and the acceleration would be g=9.81m/s^2?

Basically I've tried this several different ways and I am getting all my tension problems wrong. This is because I don't fully understand the concept of calculating tension and I would appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post a diagram so we can understand exactly what you are asked to find. (I'll move this to Intro Physics, where it belongs.)

I presume this is a statics problem. The blocks are in equilibrium, thus ΣF = 0 for each block. (In a statics problem the acceleration is zero, not 9.8 m/s^2.)

Start by identifying the forces on each block and drawing free body diagrams. Then you can come up with equations for the x and y components of the forces.

Doc Al said:
Please post a diagram so we can understand exactly what you are asked to find. (I'll move this to Intro Physics, where it belongs.)

I presume this is a statics problem. The blocks are in equilibrium, thus ΣF = 0 for each block. (In a statics problem the acceleration is zero, not 9.8 m/s^2.)

Start by identifying the forces on each block and drawing free body diagrams. Then you can come up with equations for the x and y components of the forces.

I can't post a diagram.

why is that so?

RainbowMop said:
I can't post a diagram.
Why not?

Then at least describe how the blocks and the string are connect in more detail. Is the arrangement: wall - string1 - block1 - string2 - block2 - string3 - wall? Is the string connecting the two blocks horizontal?

But even if you don't you can still use the hints I gave earlier.

ashishsinghal said:
why is that so?

I can't copy and paste the picture, I can't link you to it...

Nevermind if it's too much trouble.

Open up Paint, draw your item, save to computer, create account on photobucket.com, upload image, paste link, and make everything easier.

Too much trouble nevermind.

Without a diagram, you'll at least have to describe the setup as I suggested in post #5. That should be easy to do.

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is exerted on an object when it is pulled or stretched. It is a type of force that acts in the opposite direction of the applied force.

2. Why is tension important?

Tension is important because it helps us understand how objects behave when they are being pulled or stretched. It also plays a crucial role in determining the stability of structures and the strength of materials.

3. How do you calculate tension?

Tension can be calculated by using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the applied force, and L is the length of the object being pulled or stretched. It can also be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that tension is directly proportional to the force applied.

4. What are some common examples of tension?

Some common examples of tension include pulling a rubber band, stretching a spring, or towing a heavy object with a rope. It can also be seen in everyday situations, such as holding a book in your hand or tightening a screw with a wrench.

5. What are some tips for understanding how to calculate tension?

One tip for understanding how to calculate tension is to make sure you have a clear understanding of the forces involved and their directions. It can also be helpful to draw a free-body diagram and label all the forces acting on the object. Practice problems and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also aid in understanding tension calculations.