Why is the answer half of my answer?

• Thread starter jrjack
  • Start date
In summary: I have learned more here than in the class.In summary, the driver of a car traveling at 71 ft/sec suddenly applies the brakes. The position of the car is represented by the function s=71t-20t2, where t represents time in seconds. To find the time when the car comes to a stop, the velocity as a function of time needs to be determined. The velocity can be found by differentiating the position function, giving v=71-40t. Setting this equal to 0, we get t=1.8 seconds as the time when the car comes to a stop. This is because with a constant acceleration, the average speed over a time interval is equal to the numeric average of the speed
jrjack

Homework Statement

The driver of a car traveling at 71 ft/sec suddenly applies the brakes. The position of the car is s = 71t - 20t2, t seconds after the driver applies the brakes. After how many seconds does the car come to a stop? Round your answer to the nearest tenth.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

s=71t-20t2
0=71t-20t2
0=71-20t
t=71/20
t=3.55 = 3.6

However the correct answer is 1.8, which is half my answer, but I do not understand why you would divide by 2? Or where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What made you write this?
jrjack said:
0=71t-20t2

Well, because the position of the car is represented by the function s=71t-20t2, and since the driver is applying the brakes and coming to a stop, his postion when stopped should be s=0.

jrjack said:
Well, because the position of the car is represented by the function s=71t-20t2, and since the driver is applying the brakes and coming to a stop, his postion when stopped should be s=0.
Just because the car is stopped doesn't mean the displacement (s) is zero.

I don't fully understand displacement, the problems where we had to solve for displacement included a range for t, 0<= t<= 3 or something like that.

jrjack said:
The position of the car is s = 71t - 20t2, t seconds after the driver applies the brakes.
According to this formula, at the moment the driver steps on the brakes (t = 0), s = 0.
You need to find a formula for the velocity as a function of t, and determine when the velocity reaches 0.

That function S describes the cars position as a function of time.

You're interested in knowing when the car comes to a rest, hence you want to know how the cars velocity is changing in time.

How can you figure out velocity if you know the cars position?

Th velocity would be v=71-20t.
if v=0, then 0=71-20t, so t=3.55.

The time when the cars velocity reaches 0 is 3.55 sec.

But if I plug t=3.55 into my origonal equation, I get s=0 ?

Or if I set s=3.55, I get t=.0507, 3.499 ?

jrjack said:
Th velocity would be v=71-20t.
Not quite, be careful with your differentiation.

Nevermind, I see my problem.

Thanks, v=71-40t, set equal to 0, gives me t=1.775 or 1.8.

Thanks for all your help.

By the way, the reason the correct answer is exactly half of your answer is that with a constant acceleration, the average speed over a time interval is just the numeric average of the speed at the beginning and end of the interval.

If the initial speed is v and the final speed is 0 (the car is stopped means the speed is 0, not the position!) the average speed is (v+ 0)/2= v/2.

HallsofIvy said:
By the way, the reason the correct answer is exactly half of your answer is that with a constant acceleration, the average speed over a time interval is just the numeric average of the speed at the beginning and end of the interval.

If the initial speed is v and the final speed is 0 (the car is stopped means the speed is 0, not the position!) the average speed is (v+ 0)/2= v/2.

That is kinda where I was getting confused, I could get the average speed, but this question wasn't asking for that. And with my bad differentiation I was getting the wrong answers no matter which way I tried to solve it.

Thanks for the explanation, this is an online class and there is very little explanation, I most use the Kahn Academy, You Tube, and of course the experts of PF.

1. Why is the answer half of my answer?

The answer is half of your answer because you most likely divided a number by 2, which means you are finding half of that number. For example, if you divide 10 by 2, the answer is 5, which is half of 10.

2. What does it mean when the answer is half of my answer?

When the answer is half of your answer, it means that you have divided a number by 2. This can also be thought of as finding half of a number or dividing a number in half.

3. How do I get half of my answer?

To get half of your answer, you can divide your original number by 2. This will give you the value that is half of your original number.

4. Why do I need to know how to find half of my answer?

Knowing how to find half of your answer can be useful in many mathematical and scientific calculations. For example, finding half of a number can help you find the average of a set of numbers or determine the midpoint between two values.

5. Can the answer ever be more than half of my answer?

No, the answer can never be more than half of your answer. This is because dividing a number by 2 will always result in a value that is less than the original number. For example, if you divide 10 by 2, the answer is 5, which is less than 10.